i30 Owners Club

i30 diesel tourer 3000rpm limit problem

Tomoz · 13 · 6185

Offline Tomoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

Doing a bit of research I note that this is an issue with some of the diesel i30s. Haven’t read about it happening much with newer models – mine is a 2014 diesel tourer. Anyone had a similar experience lately?

My experience has been like others, intermittently, but now more often than not, what I assume is limp home mode (without warning lights) engages when trying to rev over 3000. Simply won’t go past that mark. Quite annoying and a little dangerous

All my services are up to date. I’m contacting the dealer tomorrow to book it in for an inspection. Luckily I’ve got an extended warranty which will cover it.
  • i30 TOURER ACTIVE 1.6 CRDi Auto

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Doing a bit of research I note that this is an issue with some of the diesel i30s. Haven’t read about it happening much with newer models – mine is a 2014 diesel tourer. Anyone had a similar experience lately?

My experience has been like others, intermittently, but now more often than not, what I assume is limp home mode (without warning lights) engages when trying to rev over 3000. Simply won’t go past that mark. Quite annoying and a little dangerous

All my services are up to date. I’m contacting the dealer tomorrow to book it in for an inspection. Luckily I’ve got an extended warranty which will cover it.
I have a 2013 GD Tourer diesel auto. Apart from the Euro-spec/Czech pads and rotors eating itself to the bone every 50k km, it’s been literally faultless and not even a squeak or noise, and definitely not encountered this limp mode at anytime to its current 105k life. Is your engine light lit? Regardless, an OBD2 dongle and an OBD2 app like might help you at least find the code - but given you’ve booked in the dealer they hopefully have a sophisticated enough OBD2 unit to find out what’s wrong. Keep us updated ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There's a sticky on this - may help if you've not spotted it...?

:link: Limp Home Mode
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Tomoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Cheers for that, I didn’t come across this thread when I was searching.

Offline Tomoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thanks for your thoughts. No light to indicate any problems. Strangely,  it’s actually one of the few times I wish I did have a warning light appear.

Yeah, I’d generally say the same about my car. No major hassles besides rotors and pads replaced around 105k too, and had an issue with the alternator failing at about the same time. 

I’ll let you know how I get on at the dealer next week.

Offline ro0sau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for your thoughts. No light to indicate any problems. Strangely,  it’s actually one of the few times I wish I did have a warning light appear.

Yeah, I’d generally say the same about my car. No major hassles besides rotors and pads replaced around 105k too, and had an issue with the alternator failing at about the same time. 

I’ll let you know how I get on at the dealer next week.

Just checked this thread.
From experience I have found that  MIL usually but not always, indicates  engine performance;  steering, ABS etc do not commonly display there. You need a wider scanner.

Given that you have a diesel have you checked EGR? Valve failure / malfunction will drop you into limp mode.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Tomoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

Mechanic said they didn’t pick anything up on the scanner, and predictably enough the limp home didn’t happen when he took it out for a spin.

Only thing he picked up was a deteriorating intake hose which he replaced in case it was the culprit. No, didn’t check EGR – my knowledge is quite limited. Quite frustrating they didn’t find what was causing the issue. As it’s a warranty job at a dealer I sometimes doubt they put the time and effort in to really get to the bottom of it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Quite frustrating they didn’t find what was causing the issue. As it’s a warranty job at a dealer I sometimes doubt they put the time and effort in to really get to the bottom of it.

Yes, often the case whatever the car brand..  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Next time you get the limp mode, drive some where where they can read the codes, or get a scanner and read them yourself. Do not turn off the car before codes are red. Restarting the engine can make the code disappear.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline rob_danny

• 1st Gear

• Birmingham
Had exactly the same issue on FD 1.6 crdi and it was faulty air flow meter. No EML on, no codes to read, just wouldn't go over 3k rpm. Found it by connecting an OBD reader and looking at the values of different sensors. Check it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• I30 FD CW 1.6CRDi 116ps

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Cheers for sharing that.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Tomoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Cheers for the tips.

Since the new intake hose was installed haven’t had the issue arise, but also haven’t been driving as much.

Interestingly, almost immediately after getting the car back from the shop, a new noise has appeared — it almost sounds like a loose or wearing belt when I’m driving. Can hear it when I’m reversing too. Very disconcerting. Have to book it in for another service.

Quite frustrated at the amount of time this car has been in the shop lately.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal