i30 Owners Club

Looking to buy Hyundai i30 GD 2015, advice please

stc954 · 5 · 2173

Offline stc954

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I am looking to by the following Hyundai: Hyundai i30 1.6 GD Diesel 2015 59,000 miles Automatic (Hatchback). The car is in auction, and has no service history with Hyundai. However, I will do all the service it needs.

Whats your opinion on the car? The reliability? I typically have a heavy foot, is the car made for that?

I have owned the Hyundai i30 2011 FD Diesel Automatic. And it lasted 200,000 miles! Are these GD models reliable? I am scared they're like the i40's which are common for engine problems.

I am planning to become a driving instructor. So there is a lot of miles to be put on the car.

Thank you all!
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 GD Diesel 2015 59,000

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I have just received my copy of WHICH consumer magazine and can assure you that Hyundai are well up there with the best.  Only snagged for occasional tyre pressure warning being a minor niggle.
I owned one for seven year and cannot recommend the i30 enough.   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Zeeb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Does that one have the DCT auto transmission? The DCT wouldn't work for driving instruction from what I've heard.

(Also does the GD diesel have a DTF diesel particulate filter? Would that also be an issue for lots of stop-start, due to carbon buildup?)
  • Looking at: 2020 or 2021 PD hatch, non-turbo petrol 2.0L, 6-speed auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Also does the GD diesel have a DTF diesel particulate filter? Would that also be an issue for lots of stop-start, due to carbon buildup?
As stc954 is in the UK they do have DPF there, but not so in the Australian GD models.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I owned a 2011 diesel which I passed on to my partner and that has now racked up 200,000 miles and nothing has gone wrong with the engine, transmission, exhaust system. I now have a 2015 CRDi and I think the engine is the same. I recall some magazine rating the GD i30 as best in class for reliability. I can't comment on how good the automatic transmission is.

Batteries don't seem to last long, I had to replace mine at about 3 1/2 years old. I think the rear calipers can be troublesome with the handbrake mechanism seizing up. If there's no service history, you won't know how often the oil has been changed. Although mine is a 2-year, 20,000 mile service interval, I do an intermediate oil change every 10,000 miles. Failure to change the oil or using the wrong grade can lead to premature cam-chain wear.

Overall, I think reliability is tip-top, and you have the added benefit of a forum like this one for help and advice.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal