i30 Owners Club

Scratch Repairs i30 Plastic Bumper/Spoiler

Offline Frankyg

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
As per my previous post, here's a couple of areas that need some TLC. The front bumper has been quoted around the $400 AUD mark. Repair shop was $400 and the touchupguys a shade under $400. 

I'm interested to know if anyone's attempted a similar repair and if so, what products were used. I might give it a go myself it if doesn't seem to difficult. I know that's subjective, but I can follow instructions and have some time on my hands just now.

Second area is the rear roof spoiler - this is the spot where I left a bird crap for too long. (car wasn't being used during lockdown!) anyway, it looks like the paint has shriveled and cracked, revealing maybe the gray primer below? Not sure. Any suggestions on how to tackle this one? I guess part of my problem is there are so many products available, it's hard to know where to start. Polish? Polish with Colour? Something else?

Appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks!

• 2013 i30 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Manual, Grey

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hey, Franky, I'd say the spoiler damage is to the clear coat. You can get cutting compound to clear it up but just adding polish probably won't restore the finish anywhere near as respraying the area with clear coat again.

As for the graze, that's deep enough to need some putty and sanding - or panel replacement - and painting.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'd pay the $400 (just over £200 GBP) if it was me  - I've done a bit of repairing in my time and that bumper wont be easy to get anything like a good finish. It would cost maybe twice that to get a professional repair here.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal