i30 Owners Club

Gear selector cable adjustment - is there any?

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I have a 2011 1.6CRDi  6-speeed manual. The car has now done 244,000 miles, and for a while it has been very difficult to engage 1st gear and reverse from standstill. Gearbox and clutch are original. I changed the gearbox oil 56,000 miles ago with the correct grade. I've already taken the damper off the clutch master cylinder and blanked it off, which made it better for a while. There are no hydraulic leaks, I can see the slave cylinder pushing the clutch release lever. I can work the gearbox between the gears with the engine not running, but trying it with the engine running and clutch fully depressed, the gears just crunch trying to get into first or reverse. Put the car into reverse with the engine off, clutch pedal on the floor, try and start it and the car tries to go backwards.

This tells me the clutch isn't releasing properly, but if it's worn out, could it wear out in such a way that it won't release?

It has been suggested that I try adjusting the gear selector cables as a first step, but does anyone know if there is any adjustment in the cables, and is there a procedure for doing it?
  • i30 CRD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm sure this used to be a "thing".
Often talked about when people experienced slight gear selection difficulties with the FD.
Might take a deep search to find though.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal