i30 Owners Club

Intermittent not starting, turns over but does not fire up, 2010 i30 CRDi 1.6

allans · 8 · 3873

Offline allans

• 1st Gear

• Essex
I have owned it since one year old! it's been so so reliable over the years, even tows a caravan, but now at 13, it's starting to struggle.   I hope it's something simple, what with the price of used cars currently, i'm hoping to keep this one for a few more years. 

It's a very intermittent issue that has been going on for ages.  I only have this issue once a month or so, I feel taking it to a garage might end up being a money pit, as it may not be picked up, and probably replace parts that are not needed.  Only last week it went in for a service and mot, no issues whatsoever.

Anyway, it all started over a year ago.  The car cranks fine but does not fire up.  At the time, I assumed it was the battery not supplying enough current, as I'm aware that diesel requires a fair bit of power to get them going.  So I replaced it with a new battery and all was fine for a few months.  Then it started doing it again, I assumed I had not made a good connection when I first installed it, so I cleaned up the battery contacts and all was fine again.  This happened a few more times until I noticed that the positive connection was getting a little loose, and struggled to tighten it, seemed like a bad design, so  I replaced it, and all was good again.  After a few months I was back to it not starting, at this point, I replaced the positive battery connection with an old-school style one that makes full contact with the nipple.   All working fine again.  A month or so later it didn't start again, so re-cleaned the contacts, this continued a few more times!!

Today I connected a Bluetooth OBD2 diagnostics thingy to it to see if I could get fault codes.  At this point, the car didn't start again!  I panicked and unplugged - worried I may have broken something.  I disconnected the battery and cleaned the contacts, started fine!  Then it occurred to me it's probably nothing to do with the battery connection but the disconnection of the battery it resetting the ECU, maybe a stuck relay?   I don't know, would anyone have some advice on what might be wrong?  It's driving me mad and the wife keeps saying can we please just get a new car!!   :confused:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 22:31:14 by allans »
  • 2010 i30 CRDi diesel

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Is the problem all year round or mainly when cold out?
I am no expert on diesels, but am wondering if it is a glowplug issue. Other cranking but not starting issues have sometimes been attributed to them. I guess your glowplugs are the originals if you have had the car since 1yr old.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline allans

• 1st Gear

• Essex
Is the problem all year round or mainly when cold out?

All year round.  The glow plug lights go off after a second when turning on the ignition.  It has also not started after a long drive, the car was parked for 10 mins, then would not start until I reconnected the battery. 

Am I right in thinking it would only be an issue with glowplugs if starting the car for the first time in cold weather?  If so don't think that's the issue.

Thanks
  • 2010 i30 CRDi diesel

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Some have reported starting problems linked to clutch/brake switch, depending on automatic or manual transmission. I am guessing you have a manual and have to press the clutch pedal to start the car. If that switch is faulty it could may be one thing that could explain your starting problem, especially as no different whether cold/hot engine.

If you can always start the car immediatey after you have disconnected/reconnected the battery then something electrical is being reset.

Did you ever connect the OBD2 diagnostic device at a time when car does not start and see any codes?

I am hoping some i30 FD diesel members will chime in here and make more and better suggestions.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline allans

• 1st Gear

• Essex
am guessing you have a manual and have to press the clutch pedal to start the car

Yes, manual, however, I have never needed to press the clutch to start. 

I do now have an OBD2, will see if there are any codes next time it won't start.  At the moment there are no faults showing.
  • 2010 i30 CRDi diesel

Offline allans

• 1st Gear

• Essex
Just a quick update. I have not had the issue since my last post! Hopefully, it's fixed.  Open up the electrics round the ignition key hole and unplugged everything sprayed with contact cleaner and plugged it all back in.  Might have been a dodgy connection with the immobiliser?

• 2010 i30 CRDi diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I was going to suggest the key sensor next and you seem to have hit on it. Fingers crossed.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, at 13 years old, had the steering coupler worn out? As you mentioned you unplugged the connectors around the steering colomn, I couldn't help thinking that replacing the coupler, also has the unintended benefit of reconnecting and deoxidising  the rfid ring of the key detector connector.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal