i30 Owners Club

Tachometer not working and ESP OFF light on.

Offline Redcari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi All

About three  times in the last week the Tachometer is not working and ESP OFF light comes on on crank. Crank is also slower than normal and a bit rough. It seems this is the crank position sensor failing. Turning the car off and restarting has resulted in a normal start and no issues. The part starts at $90 and seems easy enough to install.

My question is : any pitfalls to watch for? It doesn’t seem to need a reset of anything in the computer and is easily located.

GD i30 2013 1.8 Petrol

All help and advise always appreciated with sincerity. Thanks for taking the time !
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Red

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Redcari30.  Not a mechanic but your tacho not working could be what you have diagnosed as a likely problem (faulty crankshaft position sensor).

This YouTube video on replacing a 2011-16 Hyundai Elantra crankshaft sensor may help. 

:link: 2011-16 Hyundai Elantra Crankshaft sensor 1.8 - YouTube

I have edited a comment from a YouTube poster, Valentin Georgiev:
"...the connector was a pain to remove from the metal guide.  Also the lock tab. Laying on your back under the vehicle and trying to fit pliers in that tight tight space was a pain."

Hopefully one of our technical guys may see your post and contribute to the discussion.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline dank

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
Yesterday I managed to replace it on my Hyundai I30CW 2015 from above by wiggling my hands between the engine block and the radiator fans.
I used an endoscope before to see exactly what to feel for.
  • 2015 I30 CW

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ Dank.  Just for general information, is the video I linked to in my post above applicable to Redcari30 and your model cars (i30, 2013 & 2015 respectively)?  The video says it is for 2011~2016 Elantra.  Thanks.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Redcari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi All

Replacing the crank angle position sensor did fix this issue. Other symptoms are rough running and driving in a fail safe mode- car tries to stay in 4th. I got a mechanic to fit it so I can comment on the ways to get to it. Thanks all

Btw the part was only $89 from supercheap
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Red

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good outcome, all told. Glad it wasn't an ongoing nightmare for you. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal