i30 Owners Club

Uninsured vehicles subject to new rules and fines UK

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
.........There are estimated to be about 1.4 million motorists without insurance.

At the moment uninsured drivers are prosecuted only after they have been caught actually driving.

Although police cars have number plate recognition technology which can check cars against a database, it still requires police time to enforce.

The new offence will allow motorists to be prosecuted for simply owning a vehicle without insurance.

Letters will be sent to drivers and, if they do nothing, they face a £100 fine followed by court action...............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13493056

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting post thanks Alan .. not sure how different our laws are in Australia ..

A little project  for Rusty Nutz maybe  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Alan, interesting, in New South Wales , Australia. it is compulsary to have third party insurance, you must pay that before you get full registration. but compehencive car insurance is not compusary that i know of.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
We also have 3rd party insurance (although not compulsory), however the cost of that is now so close to comprehensive cover it is bit redundant!!

This new law might help to reduce the number of uninsured vehicles on UK roads, it is estimated that approx £60-£100 per annum of a properly insured cars premium is simply to cover the costs of the uninsured, so if our government start to claim that this is working then can us law abiding motorists expect a reduction in our premiums??  I doubt it :twisted: :twisted:

Our uninsured population (not our as in members here but our as in UK) should take note however that there are ANPR cameras on the major entrances and exits to the UK's major cities :neutral: :neutral:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
We also have 3rd party insurance (although not compulsory), however the cost of that is now so close to comprehensive cover it is bit redundant!!

This new law might help to reduce the number of uninsured vehicles on UK roads, it is estimated that approx £60-£100 per annum of a properly insured cars premium is simply to cover the costs of the uninsured, so if our government start to claim that this is working then can us law abiding motorists expect a reduction in our premiums??  I doubt it :twisted: :twisted:

Our uninsured population (not our as in members here but our as in UK) should take note however that there are ANPR cameras on the major entrances and exits to the UK's major cities :neutral: :neutral:

However, now that 'call me Dave' is in charge and has decided we're wasting billions on policing the perps need not fear.  It won't be long now before there aren't any cops left to enforce the law

For our friends not versed in British politics, David Cameron in one of his first interviews as PM said "Call me Dave..... " much to the delight of the pundits.  We're not confronted with the specter of a conservative government who are soft on crime, oh irony of ironies.   They want to reduce prison spaces by half  :wacko: and reduce the policing bill in a similar way.

I almost swore then

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline WylieCoyote

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just for interest, these are the most common types of car insurances in Australia

Compulsory Third Party
Queensland operates a common law 'fault' based Compulsory Third Party (CTP) scheme, first introduced in 1936. The scheme provides motor vehicle owners with an insurance policy that covers their unlimited liability for personal injury caused by, through or in connection with the use of the insured motor vehicle in incidents to which the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994 applies.

Other Australian States have similar schemes.

Compulsory Third Party Insurance in most states of Australia is paid annually together with the motor vehicle registration. Some states allow 6 monthly  payment of CTP and registration.  And as the term indicates, it is Compulsory and is strictly controlled by government as to pricing but is managed by certain selected independant insurance companies.

Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance
Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance covers you for damage caused by your car to property owned by a third party in the event of an accident. That means you're covered for any damage you may accidentally cause to someone else's property (up to $20 million).

Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance

Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance gives you protection for your car against fire and theft, as well as damage caused to other property.

Comprehensive Car Insurance
Comprehensive Car Insurance covers you for damage to your own car, as well as for any damage you may cause to the property of others.
  • Phantom Black i30 SX CRDI Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nicely summarised WC  :goodjob:

The fact that Compulsory Third Party AND Third Party Property Damage Car Insurance

both get called Third party insurance can cause some confusion..

as you say the Compulsory Third Party Insurance is combined with Vehicle registration in most if not all States and Territories of OZ and it is good that they have a more effective weapon now to track those that avoid this Tax...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
we don't have compulsory third party insurance in Victoria. its not a law that I've heard about.  :confused: the wife and myself both have full comprehensive insurance and are both rating one.  :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
we don't have compulsory third party insurance in Victoria. its not a law that I've heard about.  :confused: the wife and myself both have full comprehensive insurance and are both rating one.  :goodjob:

Actually we do, Steve....It's a part of your registration..... :)

It's unrelated to your "car" insurance....be it third party, fire and theft or comprehensive.... :winker:

Edit: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/FeesFormsAndFAQs/Fees/AboutTheTransportAccidentCommissioncharge.htm

Offline WylieCoyote

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
From Wikipedia

In Victoria, Third Party Personal insurance from the Transport Accident Commission is similarly included, through a levy, in the vehicle registration fee.
  • Phantom Black i30 SX CRDI Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal