i30 Owners Club

ESP Off light and rev counter disabled

DarraghR · 48 · 29463

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Co. Dublin
Hi guys Merry Christmas!!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help with my car. Because of it I was able to make it down to my Mums for Christmas and hopefully plans made to go to Northern Ireland for New Years. It is also my Dads 10 year anniversary so I can visit his grave without any hassle.

Will post again giving in dept details as to how the car is doing but it has been starting up with no struggle and no warning lights on dash when running. Old sensor did not work when i put it back in.

Anyway thanks again and hope everybody has a nice Christmas :)
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help with my car. Because of it I was able to make it down to my Mums for Christmas and hopefully plans made to go to Northern Ireland for New Years. It is also my Dads 10 year anniversary so I can visit his grave without any hassle.

Will post again giving in dept details as to how the car is doing but it has been starting up with no struggle and no warning lights on dash when running. Old sensor did not work when i put it back in.

Thanks for the feedback and best wishes to you too. Great to hear all is well now.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Nice one.  And thanks for validating the solution. Have a safe trip.
 :goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Nice one.  And thanks for validating the solution. Have a safe trip.
 :goodjob2:

Best wishes from me too.
 Usually, we  spend more time at this end, nutting out possible solutions to members problems, than it takes the member to actually fix the fault.
If the solution is not validated ( which often happens) we have to start from square one the next time.

For my part, your reply has confirmed suspicions about the sensor; so I greatly appreciate your feedback, probably more than you realise.

Happy driving.  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
For New Years I drove from Dublin Ireland to Portrush in Northern Ireland. There and back the total distance was 340 miles so it is safe to say the car is running well now. Thnaks again guys and @Nats
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
So starting to experience engine startup problems again  :disapp: It might be possible that when I replaced the crankshaft sensor it was not level but I did all I could to make sure it was as secure as possible.

Is it know for a car to continue to have crankshaft sensors becoming faulty? What could be linked to the sensor going faulty?

Really disappointed the problem is back. Hard to say buy maybe got about 1000km - 1500km out of it
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
the sensor fault is not all that common, given the amount of i30s on the road.

Is it exactly the same symptoms? Does the Rev counter fail etc?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
No but it has struggled twice to startup. 2 days now and starting up fine. I just think it will deteriorate so want to resolve the issue before it gets worse
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If its not the same symptoms, there could be any number of reasons. Not enough into sorry.

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
It showed the same signs of not starting up before the last sensor went. Might just get it jacked high in a garage and make sure its flush
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
It showed the same signs of not starting up before the last sensor went.

"Car wont start on first try roughly 1 out of 12 times
ESP OFF light displayed on dash display and only clears when car is started up again.
Rev counter does not move even when I press on the accelerator
Car seems to be revving itself when ESP OFF light is no with non functioning rev counter
Signs that car has slightly lower power or acceleration than expected."

1. Its possible that the bolt has loosened, hard not to put sensor in straight or flush. OK check :goodjob2:

2. Was the sensor some Chinese after market thing? Recently had  mechanics chasing their tail because they ignored newly fitted Chinese coils that failed after a month. Remedy change again to a good brand.

3. From the get go, your problem also had the smell of a bad electrical connection. Maybe you disturbed it and it is now back???

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

3. From the get go, your problem also had the smell of a bad electrical connection. Maybe you disturbed it and it is now back???

ns
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

To put it another way.........  :laughter:

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin

"Car wont start on first try roughly 1 out of 12 times
ESP OFF light displayed on dash display and only clears when car is started up again.
Rev counter does not move even when I press on the accelerator
Car seems to be revving itself when ESP OFF light is no with non functioning rev counter
Signs that car has slightly lower power or acceleration than expected."

1. Its possible that the bolt has loosened, hard not to put sensor in straight or flush. OK check :goodjob2:

2. Was the sensor some Chinese after market thing? Recently had  mechanics chasing their tail because they ignored newly fitted Chinese coils that failed after a month. Remedy change again to a good brand.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Was waiting to see if symptoms would return and I thought they would for a longer period of time. So far so good but that was strange and worrying for the exact same problem to be present.

1. I have a small feeling that maybe some damp got in near it as the weather was quite bad at the time. Could be wrong but issue was there when heavy rain

2. Got the sensor from a local well known motor factor. Packaging has eraspares.com all over it

3. Nothing really springs to mind. I haven't moved or touched any area in the car differently. Not to my knowledge anyway. Will keep an eye though
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ok thanks for that.
I think we can say new sensor is good, problem solved.
Cheers.

Offline pierre

• 1st Gear

• uk

• BLACK HYUNDAI 50,000 MILES - 1 PREVIOUS OWNER
Hi I have the same problem, have you still got the problem after replacing the crankshaft sensor?
  • hyundai i30 comfort petrol 2009

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I think we can say new sensor is good, problem solved.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline DarraghR

• 2nd Gear

Co. Dublin
@pierre The problem has still not returned so all is in working order
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 2010

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal