i30 Owners Club

So how should a transmission actually feel?

Offline supercoyote

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Alberta
Howdy folks,

New owner of a 2009 Elantra touring (2.0 L petrol auto) that we bought recently. I've researched and researched the auto issues and didn't notice delayed shifting between D and N, harsh shifting or significant slipping while we were test driving it. Now that we own it (as these things tend to go), I'm noticing a couple things.
There's very little delay between shifting in and out of drive and reverse (good)
1-2 shift is quick and short (good), 2-3 shift seems to almost take place over two motions, where revs drop a fair bit, then stop, then drop a bit more (bad..?), then 3-4 does the same 2 motion gear shift change. There's no harshness, no untoward sounds, and if I wasn't watching it I don't know if I'd even notice, but it's distinct and repeatable.
I did the torque converter stall test and it passed (brakes on, in drive and floor it, stops revving at 2100 rpm)
On the highway, if I let off the gas going around 100 kph, then give it gas gently again, it'll rev up from the 800 rpm idle it settles at with no throttle but at speed, rev a bit up,then settle down at a slightly lower rpm. Almost like it "slips", but it doesn't do it taking off with lots of throttle from a stop, and the torque converter lockup value on my OBD reader fluctuates in sync with the "overrev", almost like it's doing what it's told.
And last but not least, I get the "low idle rumble" at a stop in drive. If I put it in neutral, it lessens, in park it goes away completely.

On one hand if it comes to that, I'll replace the valve body. On the other hand, are these normal behaviours for this transmission? I've been driving either manuals, or truck autos (which drive altogether differently I did even think to compare them) so I don't know what to compare against.

So, am I rightfully expecting failure, or do these transmissions just do some unexpected things to save fuel that's throwing me for a loop?

Also, no codes!
  • 2009 FD 5 Door Wagon, Petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome,

We've had four i30's but the 1st 3 were manuals. I have driven an FD series Auto but it was quite a while ago.

What you describe sounds fine to me. I wouldn't be jumping at shadows.

If you are happy with it in most other ways and intend keeping it for a long time, I'd just start banking say 20 bucks a week in a separate bank account just as a car repair

fund (which hopefully you may never need)

Regards,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline supercoyote

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Alberta
Cheers Dazz.
My thought process was that if the valve body is the issue, that's unfortunate but 1k$ to replace it isn't the end of the world. If it's exhibiting symptoms of a bad valve body and I leave it though and it toasts the transmission, then it's pretty much a write off at that point. Otherwise, here in Canada I can't believe more people don't drive these, the utility vs price is unreal!

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@supercoyote ,
A torque converter is a non-contact coupling relying on fluid being pushed to move the other half of assembly.
So,   2 silly questions;
Any idea of last change of fluid ?
Have you checked fluid level ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline supercoyote

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Alberta
I have indeed. Fluid a hair past the hot mark when at operating temperature as measured by my scanner. The fluid was changed at 60,000, and I'm at 111,000 now. When I had pulled a sample out with a syphon, it's red, no burning smell, looks consistent. Replacement was done at a quick lube place as per the receipts, but the upper transmission line has a worm gear clamp instead of the normal Hyundai clamp, which leads me to believe they couldn't have half assed it entirely

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal