i30 Owners Club

2017 i30 SR - Engine replacement

Erica · 40 · 10887

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
For clarification it’s the face on block and head that have scour marks which can cause overheating.

That makes sense.
The mill Machining the head or block has run amok during manufacture.
Eventually the head gasket will leak.
They should know engine number series or are doing compression tests.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
For clarification it’s the face on block and head that have scour marks which can cause overheating.

That makes sense.

I wonder if the machine making the injectors had a similar hiccup which caused the cold start issue?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

That makes sense.

I wonder if the machine making the injectors had a similar hiccup which caused the cold start issue?

:goodjob2: And we shall keep wondering, :rolleyes: given that Hy have not had the courtesy or common sense to elaborate.
If it is just Injectors why are they stuffing about? Simple solution, but the few member reports post-replacement  have not always been positive.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Has anyone heard of this?

Just had the dealer contact me based on a service I had 4 weeks ago. "Hyundai has sent us a new engine for your i30 based on some tests we did when it was in for a service, bring it in Monday". This is an i30 1.6 SR Turbo too. It's got 34000kms on the clock. The car was running really well, I had no indication of any issues and I thrash the bejesus out of it. They said something about possible damage by brushes as well. Not unhappy about this I suppose so long as the new engine goes as well as the original. No mention of this issue on the recall sites, glad I found this forum to see I'm not the only one.

@Erica

Can I ask of what is your cars build date??      Any idea on what the test they carry out that determinds if an engine needs replacing??

Cheers..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 17:15:03 by nzenigma »
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline TrickyD

• 1st Gear

• NSW
Can I ask of what is your cars build date??

My manufacture date is Mar-17.

I dropped the i30 in this morning for the engine replacement. I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone with technical knowledge of the issue unfortunately. I'll see what I can find out when I pick the car up.

About 6 weeks before the service the dealer contacted me to say they received a tool from Hyundai to test for a possible issue and could I bring the car in. I asked if it was urgent or could it wait for the next service which was coming up. They said they'd test it when I bought it on for the service.
  • i30 1.6 SR Turbo 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Shame they weren't this proactive with the warm start issue. :crazy2:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

I dropped the i30 in this morning for the engine replacement. I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone with technical knowledge of the issue unfortunately. I'll see what I can find out when I pick the car up.

About 6 weeks before the service the dealer contacted me to say they received a tool from Hyundai to test for a possible issue and could I bring the car in. I asked if it was urgent or could it wait for the next service which was coming up. They said they'd test it when I bought it on for the service.

Cheers for that..   Quite interesting as mine is a June 2017 build date siting at just under 27,000kms

If it is a manufacturing fault with the engine at the March 2017 build. I wonder how long it went on for?
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for that..   Quite interesting as mine is a June 2017 build date siting at just under 27,000kms

If it is a manufacturing fault with the engine at the March 2017 build. I wonder how long it went on for?

I just checked mine .. April 17  :eek:  Hope mine lasts until my new car comes...  :evil:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I just checked mine .. April 17  :eek:  Hope mine lasts until my new car comes...  :evil:

Given your history Dazz, they probably expected it to be written off before it needed a new motor. :snigger:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Given your history Dazz, they probably expected it to be written off before it needed a new motor. :snigger:

:sweating: :lol: :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal