i30 Owners Club

Cruising in 3rd and 4th gear

Offline cardiffian

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cardiff
Hello Everyone

From Cardiff (UK) here! I bought an i30 diesel manual in Cardiff 2015 registration this month. I realised that when at gear 3, it automatically cruises at 20mph and in the 4th gear it cruises to 30mph automatically and stays at that speed until I speed up or apply the break. Please note; I can accelerate if I want to. Is this normal? I tried to cancel cruise control but it’s not set up. Could anyone confirm this is a feature or at least how to turn it off?

Thanks
  • i30 UK owner

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome cardiffian :D

I think you'll find that's called "diesel torque" and it's just a way of showing you how the engine can drive you forwards with no pedal power.

Very very common (and sometimes quite useful) :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline cardiffian

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cardiff
HI Shambles

Thank you for your response.

I have not heard of this "diesel torque" phenomenon before. Is this normal in all diesel i30's?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 19:53:50 by cardiffian »
  • i30 UK owner

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Yes.  :D

At those speeds you're at so low rev's the ECU will keep the rev's adjusted to a minimum so you don't stall the engine.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline paulemmo

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Yorkshire
Hello CardiffIan / Shambles / Asterix,

I had a similar question (my diesel i30 does the same) - thanks for the information!  Having never driven a diesel before it freaked me out a bit taking my foot off the accelerator at low revs to feel the car speed up.  Getting used to it now.

Cheers,

Paul.
  • 2016 i30 SE NAV 5 door hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Blue

guest9517
I never let my drivetrain on the car take any torque below 13-1350 RPM as it getting very unefficient at such low RPM´s with ECU trying to keep engine alive.

Slow RPM´s & extra fuel injected = Shock-load on drivetrain, bad economy (long term = sooting up engine & perhaps failure due to stressed engineparts) + you get less comfort.

Just personal opinion off course & welcome to the world of diesels where torque is everything & BHP "Just a figure"  :mrgreen:

Offline paulemmo

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Yorkshire
Thanks ChipMIK, much appreciated.
  • 2016 i30 SE NAV 5 door hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Blue

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good, innit? I use it all the time in side streets. Lends some meaning to the old idea that some diesels just refuse to stall.  :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal