i30 Owners Club

Hyundai Clutch Damper Valve - low clutch bite point / difficult gear selection

tw2005 · 46 · 51944

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Looks like Diesel has it, petrol does not. I know someone who had a GD diesel and clutch replacement fixed his so It's likely doing this damper helps somewhat but ultimately it could be the clutch?

I know that FD model had the damper on both diesel and petrol. Have to say I have avoided manual GDs so you may be right. But......

The master cylinder is different, twist and pull to remove. Its possible it has a damper inside? Assuming the flywheel is solid, possible damper is in the slave cylinder?

But..... maybe its old school.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mate. having a new clutch ( good one) already fitted, you are ahead of the pack, mechanic did not understand the damper principle. So fix it this weekend DIY and its solved.  :twisted:

You've lost me Garry. How does Murpha86 do that? Especially if he's not mechanically minded. I would consider myself a reasonably capable DIY person but fairly nervous fiddling with mechanicals in relatively new cars. I'd be braver on an old clunker.  :cool:

I have checked and the slave is external . easy DIY job.
 Not mechanically minded? How do you know if you are not prepared to do a bit of reading then attempt the job?

Im not advocating some rocket science task. Most of the repairs Gerard and I advise upon, the average high school kid should be able to accomplish.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Mate. having a new clutch ( good one) already fitted, you are ahead of the pack, mechanic did not understand the damper principle. So fix it this weekend DIY and its solved.  :twisted:

You've lost me Garry. How does Murpha86 do that? Especially if he's not mechanically minded. I would consider myself a reasonably capable DIY person but fairly nervous fiddling with mechanicals in relatively new cars. I'd be braver on an old clunker.  :cool:

I have checked and the slave is external . easy DIY job.
 Not mechanically minded? How do you know if you are not prepared to do a bit of reading then attempt the job?

Im not advocating some rocket science task. Most of the repairs Gerard and I advise upon, the average high school kid should be able to accomplish.

Fairy Nuff.  :goodjob: :drinks:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Leyburn

• 1st Gear

• england England
After lots of calls and searching, this post has (almost) resolved this issue for me.
Unfortunately, the mitsubishi part has never been ordered in the UK according to several dealers. I was recommended to contact direct to the European system to locate a price and availability. But that requires a call to a European dealership.

Meanwhile the parts dept in West London Mitsubishi suggested a site called megazip.net. They can ship from UAE. The part is less than $7 US. Though with postage its best part of $45.

Still cheaper than Hyundai Exeter, Bristol Street Motors. £184

The complete barrel and damper is available from Seoul, genuine part on ebay list no.
Currently US $51. But free postage.

I'm about to order two Mitsubishi mr319469 units from megazip.
If anyone wants the spare PM me.
I expect it will take a week. I will probably list the spare on ebay. It's pointless ordering just one at £6 when postage is 6x the price for one or two.

I hope this update will help someone else as much as the earlier posts have helped me.

Thanks for all the help here. I was beginning to panic that I'd never resolve the problem until clutch or gearbox suffered as a result.

Hopefully this will fix the issue. There's only 70k miles on the clock so a new clutch should be a long way off even with the info about spring/pressure plate wear on here.

Thanks again.

Oh and Hello..... As I'm new around here. 😁🚗💨

Santa Fe owner with clutch problems. This is a useful thread, particularly the quoted post, thanks.

@ Offgrid , did you have to pay UK VAT and customs duty on top of the USD50 purchase price?
  • Hyundai Santa Fe

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Do check :link: KORAPS - KORea Auto Parts Service - HYUNDAI KIA GM SSANGYONG RENAULT Genuine Parts! Low Price! for this sort of thing too.
Only drawback with Koraps, Korea is LHD so you won't find a RHD clutch damper unit unless it is the same part number as the LHD market.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Leyburn

• 1st Gear

• england England
Thanks for the replies, I've tried signing up at Koraps, but a pop-up appears:

Click OK, but can't move forward from the sign-up page.

i can't read Korean

Solved: changed username and nickname, now registered
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:37:08 by tw2005 »
  • Hyundai Santa Fe

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think the actual screw in damper is the same? I have an old note that says part number 416902H900 would need to check

useful place to check such things for EU members

:link: Hyundai parts catalog - I30

Offline Leyburn

• 1st Gear

• england England
megazip.net have the Mitsibushi part:  DAMPER, CLUTCH M/CYL Mitsubishi MR319469 . Still trying to locate in the UK or EU to avoid being ripped off on import tax charges. Approx GBP35 to purchase two dampers and air freight from Japan to the UK, approx GBP7 value added tax, which isn't too bad, but I object to paying the UK delivery company GBP18 fixed fee for the privilege of extracting the GBP7 VAT

Can't find what I want on Koraps.

Hyundai / Kia 416902H900  is described as a "Regulator Assy-Clutch"   ttps://www.online-parts.co.uk/kia-spare-parts/416902H900_Regulator-Assy-Clutc.html?language=en   sounds hopeful, in the UK but price is GBP182 plus delivery

Edit: my error, GBP8 handling fee for extracting GBP7 VAT, still grates.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 16:04:45 by Leyburn »
  • Hyundai Santa Fe

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline Leyburn

• 1st Gear

• england England
Thanks Lorian, that looks as if it would fit, certainly very similar,

The damper arrived from megazip, fitted at the same time as the new clutch master cylinder so can't be certain if the damper was faulty or the master cylinder was faulty, but the clutch pedal now has a much better action, the bite point is higher up and the pedal returns to the "up" position quickly. Previously, the bite point was low and the pedal would return slowly to the "up" position.
  • Hyundai Santa Fe

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Another thing, inside 2 off the springs from the disk there are some metal cylinders wobling arround making rattle sound. Why they put those in? :head_knock:

So we have a in interesting noise to talk about.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Thanks Lorian, that looks as if it would fit, certainly very similar,

The damper arrived from megazip, fitted at the same time as the new clutch master cylinder so can't be certain if the damper was faulty or the master cylinder was faulty, but the clutch pedal now has a much better action, the bite point is higher up and the pedal returns to the "up" position quickly. Previously, the bite point was low and the pedal would return slowly to the "up" position.

good news  :goodjob2:

Offline Stewart229

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
Can anyone say if the part circiled red is the damper on a 2014 1.6 diesel i30
  • Hyundai i30

Offline AVP

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania

• I30, GD, 1.4CRDI - 2014
@Stewart229, there is no picture attached, or at least I don't see it. You have the 1.6 diesel from 2014, mine is from the same year, so I assume you have the same part as me. It is located behind the battery - computer - diesel filter - your damper piece. You have to remove all the previous mentioned components to get to it. It is the same piece as the one posted in this thread and I think older Hyundai models have the same damper.

@ALL, Hi there,

I bought a new damper, entire piece some time ago and yesterday I installed it and bled the system. Guess what?
The clutch pedal is the same (low bite point). I am getting that M16 screw and will remove the damper on the old one, install it and see how it goes. The car has only 50.000 km, so I don't think it's the clutch itself as it was driven with care and precision on changing gears.

Let you know the outcome.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:33:43 by AVP »
  • I30 crdi, hatch, 90hp

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi,
Still wondering how these dampers go bad, there appears to be no moving parts in one.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal