i30 Owners Club

GD Radio & Media Player

Drew_81 · 20 · 8915

Offline Drew_81

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• 2012 GD i30 Premium in Sleek Silver
I've posted and commented a few times about the problems I've had with the radio / media player in my i30 Premium (including but not limited to rebooting itself randomly, displaying the wrong song/artist details when connecting the iPod, no reverse camera image, no 'guidelines' on the reverse camera image and random error messages like in the picture when it refuses to play any sound).

A couple of weeks ago I finally took it back to the dealer (Suttons in Rosebery) and they said it needed replacing, and would take about a week to get back in.  Three weeks later they finally tell me they've had to replace so many units in Hyundais that it's going to be about another three weeks before they can get one from their supplier (Cartronics in Melbourne).

So if you've got radio issues, be prepared to wait!  I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
  • 2012 GD i30 Premium

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

ouri30
So far no issues with ours in just over a month.

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My replacement is not much better, hope you have more luck.

Offline Drew_81

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

What kind of problems were you having with yours Stikman?
  • 2012 GD i30 Premium

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I still get some of the things you mention, slow to respond (camera and/or guidelines when put in reverse), Nav warning not responding to acceptance, Bluetooth pairing issues (apparently function and not fault but it was one of the reasons the dealer replaced mine), clock starting on the wrong local time. I actually lost some setting menus in the new unit but my SUNA traffic now works. I also lost the ability to put the unit into test mode, I.e. allow you to access base WinCE program etc. I had a delay in getting my replacement, I originally reported some issues after a little over a week when it had its 1000km check and a replacement was not done until about 6wks after the 7500 service. I was told it was because updates were being made to the software in the units so I was hoping a lot of the Navigation short falls would be addressed also but this was also not the case. The dealer also scratched the surround replacing the unit and i am still waiting on that replacement, and the car is about a month off its 30000km service.

ouri30
I still get some of the things you mention, slow to respond (camera and/or guidelines when put in reverse), Nav warning not responding to acceptance, Bluetooth pairing issues (apparently function and not fault but it was one of the reasons the dealer replaced mine), clock starting on the wrong local time. I actually lost some setting menus in the new unit but my SUNA traffic now works. I also lost the ability to put the unit into test mode, I.e. allow you to access base WinCE program etc. I had a delay in getting my replacement, I originally reported some issues after a little over a week when it had its 1000km check and a replacement was not done until about 6wks after the 7500 service. I was told it was because updates were being made to the software in the units so I was hoping a lot of the Navigation short falls would be addressed also but this was also not the case. The dealer also scratched the surround replacing the unit and i am still waiting on that replacement, and the car is about a month off its 30000km service.

Ability to use test mode and therefore enter base WinCE has been removed from later versions of the head unit along with changing the setting so which allowed watching video while driving.  This was likely done for safety reasons.

I have noticed the guidelines being delayed, but this is only for a second or so.  I can understand this as the head unit is a base level PC and software features have to load.

I don't have any issues with clock, even in SA which is +9:30 GMT for which there is no setting on the head unit - I use auto setting for time zone.

Offline Drew_81

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

You do a lot of k's Stikman...

I have the clock problem, I contacted Hyundai about my issues before I took it back to the dealer and they said it can't be helped.  What's weird is that it's one hour ahead of Sydney time when I turn it on and then it corrects itself, but as far as I am aware there is no timezone one hour ahead of the east coast of Australia (with NZ being two hours ahead).

Hyundai also told me the software is designed not to remember that you had your iPod playlist on 'random all' when you restart the car, so it's not a fault, but apparently a lot of people had complained about it, including Hyundai staff. 
  • 2012 GD i30 Premium

Offline GordonG

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cairns, Queensland, Australia

• Cairns Australia - MY16 SR Premium, Phoenix Orange
    • GordonG.com
I also have the clock problem (+1 hour); intermittent static-type noises or cutout in the radio; slow to show the guidelines in the reversing camera; and of course that damn 'random' problem. If that is caused by the software, it's an easy fix and should be done. Waiting on a new unit now...

Apart from that, the car is performing flawlessly.

ouri30
As I have said elsewhere, our head unit time is always correct and even adjusts when driving across state borders, within 200-300m.

Here are the head unit details.  The build date was 2nd Feb 2013.

The unit details are as follows:
Software Version : 9.2.0.5
OS Version : 15E120307
NNG_Map Version : 8.5.11.275416
Factory Map Version : AUSNZ12Q3
BT Version : 3.0.7
Firmware Version: 6.0.11_M_GD_3_0

It would seem logical for Hy Au to send out a software upgrade to dealers to install at a service to rectify the clock issues.

Offline Drew_81

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

So it took a couple of months for my unit to be replaced under warranty, and the replacement initially seemed to resolve all the issues, including the clock which is always on the correct time now, right from starting the car.

But in the last month or so, cracks are starting to show... it's resetting itself when the iPod is connected, the reversing camera has 'frozen' on me twice. This is where it gets stuck on an image and even shifting into park or drive won't remove the image - seems to upset the music too and it stops playing - even restarting the car didn't fix it last time it happened, but it eventually reset itself.  As much as I hate dealing with Suttons City (and they clearly dislike me too!) looks like its going back again...
  • 2012 GD i30 Premium

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
So it took a couple of months for my unit to be replaced under warranty, and the replacement initially seemed to resolve all the issues, including the clock which is always on the correct time now, right from starting the car.

But in the last month or so, cracks are starting to show... it's resetting itself when the iPod is connected, the reversing camera has 'frozen' on me twice. This is where it gets stuck on an image and even shifting into park or drive won't remove the image - seems to upset the music too and it stops playing - even restarting the car didn't fix it last time it happened, but it eventually reset itself.  As much as I hate dealing with Suttons City (and they clearly dislike me too!) looks like its going back again...

Oh no, you're having rotten luck with this problem.  Hope it gets solved for ya EVENTUALLY <sigh>

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Members, I feel this device is going to undo the GD reputation. The GPS / Camera device is expensive to purchase and AKAIC a troubled device, at best.

My friend and fellow member vondy, is on his 2nd unit, the GPS locked up this week and he suspects that the replacement was a refurbished unit. He has requested a new unit and is slowly coming to the conclusion that the GD purchase was not a good idea.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Members, I feel this device is going to undo the GD reputation.

Very disappointing isn't it. It is obviously bought from a third party supplier, but it is their response to issues with the units that will make or break the reputation.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Drew_81

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Yeah I tend to agree Phil.  Its a brilliant car and I love it, but I just want my music/reversing camera/GPS to all work!

It doesn't help that the service staff treat you like rubbish either, I think Suttons City (Rosebery) are the worst I've ever experienced.  Although they did give me an i40 courtesy car last time I took it back :)
  • 2012 GD i30 Premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Fortunately, where I am, the service response is good. But to have this issue in the UK, with their levels of service and you wouldn't see me for dust.  :fum:

Hy need to source a decent radio / GPS quality supplier. They WILL pay the price, if they don't.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 22:46:33 by Phil №❶ »

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hmm...
Seems really strange Hyundai is doing this.
My unit was replaced within 2 weeks from purchase due to GPS failing.
Other stuff all worked. Like bluetooth and reverse cams.
The replaced unit is working fantastic and has not skipped a beat.
Its now been 2 weeks since replacement.

Makin and Lubin in Heidelberg managed to get my new unit within 3 days.. so I'm not entirely sure how the stock level is.

joe....
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
They could be replaced with an after market system, but then why should you have to?
I'm just glad I went for the Active model + my trusty Navman.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
vondy had his unit swapped today from a new car in the yard, not refurbished. Hope this is the end of the matter.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
vondy had his unit swapped today from a new car in the yard, not refurbished. Hope this is the end of the matter.

:goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal