i30 Owners Club

Sudden stall!!

Craig · 17 · 7580

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I drive a 2010 1.6 CRDi Automatic with 46,000 miles on it.

No major issues until today when it seemed to suddenly stall whilst I was at about 70% throttle at the end of an overtaking manoeuvre!! :(

I've had no engine or transmission problems with it before, or all day after.  The car was driving normally then suddenly, no drive. I coasted to a stop then parked, waited a puzzled minute or so, then tried starting it up.  It started perfectly first time, and I gingerly drove off.  I tried to replicate it later and can't. The car is still pulling well and changes gear smoothly.

Any idea as to what the problem may be, and whether it is covered by what's left of the warranty??
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's a tough one, as there are many conditions where the engine may be shut down, not to mention a faulty device, somewhere. We can rule out ignition  :D

Fuel starvation is a possibility due to blockage in the filter, it could be that normal driving is ok but overtaking requires a higher fuel flow and the filter couldn't cope.

Any form of fault code detected by the ECU.

A faulty ECU, hope not.

Bad earth on the ECU  :exclaim:

Some other reason.

Sorry, I can't be more specific, finding a fault code, if stored, would help.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that Craig. Definitely need to take it to the dealer for a check over. Could have been really dangerous! Shame the dealers tend to be fairly useless unless there is an error code!  :undecided:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Was that a complete stall (engine shut down itself), or did you just loose some power?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Complete stall. Accelerator did nothing, coasted to a stop and ignition lights were on.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Read the ETC codes as soon as you can.....

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Can I get the car to display them or is it an OBD-II at the dealer job?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Can I get the car to display them or is it an OBD-II at the dealer job?

OBD2 with anyone with even an ELM327 reader for the engine codes. They are very cheap on Ebay (£7 inc delivery)

Unless its still under warranty of course..... then its a trip to the dealer.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I think there's about six months warranty left so I'll be taking it on Monday.  Have bought a bluetooth reader too for future use!

Offline Gina M

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Page, ACT
Hi Craig. I was just wondering if you worked out what the problem was as this happened to me today except I was slowing down at traffic lights and then it just switched off. I tried once but it just cranked over. I waited a bit longer and then it started. I would like to know what the outcome was so if it is serious I can take mine back to the dealer as I've only had it for a week.
  • Hyundai i30 cw SX 1.6 Diesel Turbo

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Craig. I was just wondering if you worked out what the problem was as this happened to me today except I was slowing down at traffic lights and then it just switched off. I tried once but it just cranked over. I waited a bit longer and then it started. I would like to know what the outcome was so if it is serious I can take mine back to the dealer as I've only had it for a week.

Hi Gina,

It is unusual for the diesel to stall. They have a sort of anti-stall function built in!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Diesel bug?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

No major issues until today when it seemed to suddenly stall whilst I was at about 70% throttle at the end of an overtaking manoeuvre!! :(

I've had no engine or transmission problems with it before, or all day after.  The car was driving normally then suddenly, no drive. I coasted to a stop then parked, waited a puzzled minute or so, then tried starting it up.  It started perfectly first time, and I gingerly drove off.  I tried to replicate it later and can't. The car is still pulling well and changes gear smoothly.

Any idea as to what the problem may be, and whether it is covered by what's left of the warranty??

Air entering the fuel rail. My father had the same issue and I drove it. could be best described as the engine turned off with the dash lights on with no other symptoms or warning. had a number of tank cleans, fuel additives, several filters, a new pump.

Had a small crack in the filter assembly housing allowing a small amount of air in(not the filter)

**UPDATE**

may not been a crack, Just been told the primer pump seal or air getting past that, either way the assembly was replaced and solved. Dad did mention he had contaminated fuel originally but  I suspect  that was what he was told initially but I believe the root cause was that assembly. been perfect since.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:14:09 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Well I never found any faults, and it has never happened again.  I'm putting it down to dodgy fuel at this point.  I now run only on Shell or Esso diesel and won't buy supermarket stuff at all.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Air entering the fuel rail. My father had the same issue and I drove it. could be best described as the engine turned off with the dash lights on with no other symptoms or warning. had a number of tank cleans, fuel additives, several filters, a new pump.

Had a small crack in the filter assembly housing allowing a small amount of air in(not the filter)

**UPDATE**

may not been a crack, Just been told the primer pump seal or air getting past that, either way the assembly was replaced and solved. Dad did mention he had contaminated fuel originally but  I suspect  that was what he was told initially but I believe the root cause was that assembly. been perfect since.
** another update**

still an ongoing intermittent issue.  last time they "claimed" to have replaced the fuel pump, but they did not.

Ol man just said going in again. Will be interesting to see what the repair docket says this time :disapp:

First time I've heard say if he had enough money he'd replace it. Only done 120K easy kilometres

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If they have not replaced fuel pump and you paid then they should be reported!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If they have not replaced fuel pump and you paid then they should be reported!

It's a strange situation. Somehow his ongoing servicing at this dealer comes with an extended insurance type warranty.

Could be cooking the books  so he does not pay. Unfortunately 85 yo males are set in their way, so pointing out that you can't replace an OEM pump for around $500 and showing the OEM manufacture date the same as the production date of the vehicle fell on his very deaf ear(s). He's happy paying for it but sometimes, it's blind faith.

It's a rare fault but it's also been mentioned enough time with what would appear to be similar symptoms  it must be a tough one that's hard to get sorted. :fum:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal