i30 Owners Club

Problems with Power Steering on i30

Offline bankiebill

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi ... i'm in the uk. Have a 2009 plate i30 comfort.

About 3 years ago I had a problem with the power steering - could barely move the wheel on the motorway. Parked up for a bit and it was fine. About a week later it went again. Took into dealership - they changed the steering rack under warranty. No problems until a few weeks ago when EPS and ESP lights came on in dash. Hadn't had a chance to take in and the power just went again this morning. Same feeling as last time. Called dealership - they say they need to see it ( fair enough ) but that the previous problem was covered under 5 year warranty but the new Steering Rack is past the 2 year parts warranty. Quoting best part of £1000 if that's again the problem.

Any steer as per the following ?

- is this a known issue with i30 - ie replacement steering rack required for that problem
- if not then is it potentially just a software or hydraulic fluid issue
- should the steering rack replacement last more than 2 years
- is that a reasonable amount to pay ?

Notwithstanding it may be nothing to do with steering rack

Would appreciate any help / advice

thanks

Bill
  • i30 5dr Comfort

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well, being a 2009 the warranty is over, and if your consumer laws says 2 years warranty on parts, like here, then they're right.

- is this a known issue with i30 - ie replacement steering rack required for that problem - Yes, it's been mentioned before.
- if not then is it potentially just a software or hydraulic fluid issue - Certainly not a fluid issue as the power steering is all electric  :P, but could be software or even a bad earth connection.
- should the steering rack replacement last more than 2 years - certainly, but there's only 2 years warranty anyway.
- is that a reasonable amount to pay ? - Propably not... but I'm a tight arse.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Bill and  :wlcome01: ,

You have been unlucky if it has failed again. Asterix has pretty much covered it.

I am very tight but if it is definitely the steering rack and they will cap it at $1000 for parts and labour, that is a fairly good price (provided parts are  new) :needspecscleaning:

Saying that though, I would push hard as I could (tactfully) through the dealer and Hyundai for a no cost fix... :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bankiebill

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Thanks guys ... i'm not hugely technically minded re cars. So forgive the faux-pas re the fluid. It struck me that the steering rack warranty period at 2 years was awfully short for that big a part - but I had no real reference point. btw Dazzler - that 2000 Aussie money ...

Im having a small garage look at the problem for me and hopefully its a software of other cheaper option but I need the car on the road asap and may have to part with the dough - whilst writing a very - to the point - letter to the dealership and Hyundai.

cheers guys

Bill
  • i30 5dr Comfort

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh bugger! A$2000 is a lot!  :Shocked: :crazy1:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Oh bugger! A$2000 is a lot!  :Shocked: :crazy1:
Didn't someone say they were quoted $5000 to replace the steering?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I thought I remember  $3500?

It was one of the reasons I upgraded Trish's car before the warranty ran out...

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I've heard estimations of 3000€. That would be approx. 4500 aud. Cheapest new steering column I've seen has been 1200 us dollars. That was just the part and you would need to pay shipping + import tax. Cheapest fix I've heard was something around 850€ (second hand column ~450€ + labour).
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Okay - but I think we may be forgetting that, I am pretty sure, there is a published (govt) recall and a service campaign in multiple countries regarding the EPS and I think the ranges of the actual published recall were some 2009 - 2010 build i30s.

I had issues with my EPS before that happened - then the next service after they did a service campaign check (I asked about it - apparently it is a test and software update, or if test fails replacement of the power steering - presumably at their cost... however mine was still in warranty at the time).  I have since got a letter asking for me to book the car in for a check regarding EPS issues - I suspect it is the same check and either there is a further update or they didn't check to see which ones had already been checked when sending the letters out.

So I would be, maybe, either contact the dealership (or other Hyundai service centers) and ask them to check if there is outstanding checks, etc. and/or contact Hyundai UK and ask for them to check the same.

Anyway the UK govt. published recall details is in one of the links here: :link: i30 recall uk
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal