i30 Owners Club

Do these prices seem fair?

karnage · 24 · 5506

Offline karnage

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
In a bit of a bind, need a car in the next day or two but only the wife can get out to test drive. I am sensitive to getting ripped off, but unfortunately I may have to wear some sort of urgency premium.

I remember driving an i30 wagon several years back, but ended up with a Mondeo wagon instead when the i30 was sold before I could make an offer. Wont go with a Mondeo again (the transmission was horrible), so pressed for time, figured the i30 would be a good bet.

Found two we could go with immediately, virtually the same car, but with mileage and price differences.

:link: 2012 Hyundai i30 SX Auto MY11
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Hyundai-i30-2012/OAG-AD-12673169/?Cr=0

Does this seem fair to you guys? Which would be the better option? Put another way, is $1,200 for 8000 kms a push or is one dominant?

Cheers!
  • i30 wagon

Offline karnage

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

Quick browse of carsales.com.au gave the above stats. Price on the vert, km's (in 000's) on the horizontal. The two options in the links are the square icons. They are in the 2012 group, but I know this is the 2011 model.
  • i30 wagon

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate,

I wouldn't pay that sort of coin for 8k alone especally since the higher one should have had the 45k service.

But it could be the more expensive one has a truckload more warranty because it was registered later. In that case the balance becomes more difficult.

Be aware that some of the wagons hit the fleet in Queensland (mostly CRDI SLX) so carefully examine any that have moved from QLD.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Do you have a few dollars more?

:link: 2013 Hyundai i30 Active Auto

Offline karnage

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for that advice. And the link. That one fell outside the search parameters. Could be stretched to, need to check the treasury.

The 6-speed transmission and this one being only 1.6l vs 2l, would it drive like the other two I linked? It annoys me that I cannot test drive either of those two, but not even having the Mrs be able to test this one...

Also, this one is Czech manufactured, is there a material difference there?
  • i30 wagon

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Not that I have heard. What would attract me to the red one would be the extra warranty mag wheels and extra accessories. You have the advantage of wanting to buy today, so that should get you a discount.

The 6 speed box is in my opinion superior. There were a few problems with the 4 speed, albeit in the CRDI.

I believe some said the 1.6 lacked power, but I have heard the same argument about the three diesels I have owned.

I believe there have been a couple of problems with the black rails coming out of the roof but they have been fixed under warranty.

Offline karnage

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Nice, test drive that see if you like it.

Silver is a nice colour

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Karnage and Welcome. Beerman is on the ball..  :goodjob:

My Wife had a 2.0 MY11 Manual CW (Wagon) for 4 years and we replaced it with a 1.6 Manual Tourer (wagon) in late 2014.

She was initially disappointed in the around town zip of hte 1.6 compared to the larger 2.0, but I think there might be less difference between the Autos being that the old model was a 4 speed and the new one is a 6 speed.

I am very impressed with the QC on the tourer (thicker paint and tighter build than the previous Korean Built CW)

The 1.6 motor is a fairly high tech/high output GDi (Direct injection) motor and has impressive torque on the highway.

It is considerably more economical than the old 2.0 as well (more than a litre per 100kms in the manuals) Trish gets around 6.5 l/100kms average by my calculations. Obviously the Auto would be higher (but so would the older model)

Hope that helps.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline karnage

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Very helpful, thanks.

The silver Active was already sold, but was looking at a couple of others. The wife was able to get out and test drive one, said it's all good from her perspective.

Only 33,000kms on it since 2013 and the warranty looks to go through to August 2018, but 2 things are a concern though.

1) They don't have the log book. Though they said they're a Hyundai dealership, so could get a new one and enter the service history. Weird.
2) The revs check said the original buyer type was "rental"
  • i30 wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ex-rental is a concern. Double check it will still have 5 years warranty and that they would be prepared to confirm that in writing. Also with possibly 100's of previous drivers you don't know how much abuse it has endured. It would want to be cheap.

Offline karnage

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Yeah, its $16,111 which seems a little rich, but is at the cheaper end for the miles. We'd always get the independent mechanic check done anyway. But not sure this one is worth the cost.
  • i30 wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, some of the abuse might not show up until later. Not all wear is visible to a mechanic. Does seem a bit steep. No book and ex rental should give you some good bargaining power though!

Offline karnage

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Yeah, you'd think. Not the case though.
  • i30 wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, good wagons are a bit scarce and were considerably dearer than the hatch when new.  :crazy1:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Just my two cents' worth.
I have a relative who bought a 1.6 petrol auto wagon and she likes the car but even she says it lacks grunt. She came from a Nissan X-Trail.
I would need to drive them myself.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It is not unusual in fleets for the log books to go missing. People don't keep track of things the way they should. If the car was serviced at Hyundai all is ok with a replacement (they arn't going to piss off Hyundai).

If it was a rental the k's seem low for 3 years. I know when I drive a rental I drive it like a granny because of the massive excess....See what warranty applies for the car (3 year 175,000k warranty applies to commercial cars).

If the wife is happy with how the car drives, that's all that matters. Your not going to be drag racing people from the lights, so does it really matter if the car is on the slower side?

Dealers only really get their price moving when they see the colour of their money. Some may give you a little price drop, but until you hit them with an offer, they will most likley do the 'thats the best price' thing. Unless of course they are moving them quickly....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Beerman is on the money again.  :Agoodpost:

Offline karnage

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks guys,

We ended up getting a different i30 Active, with only 27k on the clock. Seems ok so far.

I notice the lack of umph that was alluded to, but don't think this will be much of an issue with my driving style. The transmission is a lot better than the Mondeo with its dual clutch silliness. Foot down, car go. Been spinning the wheels on the wet road, so will be interesting to see how things go in the dry. I have thrown it into a few corners to see if I could slide it. So far it has held its line well.

The car is smaller than I remembered, but all that means is that we need an optimised method for storing items in the boot. Whereas for the larger Mondeo we didnt have to bother. Everything could just be dumped in.

Blinkers are bloody quiet.
  • i30 wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When you say active, is it a 1.8 hatch or a 1.6 tourer. I don't think the wife's tourer was known as an active??

Offline karnage

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
1.6L Tourer, their "crossover wagon".
  • i30 wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Same as the Wife's then.  :goodjob: Think you will be impressed with the economy for a 1.6 ltr petrol. They go well on the highway too, if you anticipate hills.  :cool:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mate if I can fit 4 suitacses, a pram and portacot in the smaller FD CW, you can do anything

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mate if I can fit 4 suitacses, a pram and portacot in the smaller FD CW, you can do anything

The Tourer is actually tighter than the CW in the "boot" with the seat up. Especially if you are using the cargo blind.  :crazy1:

And the curved (less squared off) back adds further restrictions with taller bulkier stuff...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal