i30 Owners Club

Change cigarette lighter to always on

Offline jayansworld

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
I recently bought a dashcam that has a function which automatically records video if it detects movement. Due to this feature I need a cigarette lighter which doesn't shut off with when the key is removed. The dash cam in question has a battery discharge prevention feature plus I'll manually unplug the dashcam overnight so there is no issue with the battery dying. I'm wondering how I can set one of the front cig lighters to be always live? I've searched google and can't find a suitable answer.
  • 2014 GD2 I30 HATCH 1.8P ACTIVE AUTO

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You need a circuit diagram and move the feed for the cig lighter and fuse to a live point. Do not omit the fuse. Add a 2nd fuse of the correct rating for your camera. The cig fuse is way too powerful to protect the camera, but if it is required to supply cig lighter current, the circuit will still be safe.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid:

You'll notice some of your fuses are direct feed from the battery and some only via the ignition. You can make the change across the fuse contacts within the fuse box itself or via extra cabling. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I would recommend installing a standalone circuit from the battery for this purpose. Rather than cutting and joining wires or jumping wires.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This thread might be of use:  :)

:link: Powering screen-mounted videocam from map lights

Not quite, as the power to the roof gets dropped after around 10 mins. But good thinking :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Cheers Steve..
Must be a GD only thing then as I've just left mine on for half an hour to test it and it's still on...  :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: rustynutz
Must be a GD only thing then ...

More than likely.

In my FD I had to unclip my dashcam from the overhead power otherwise it'd be on forever. In my GD I can leave it coupled up as I know it'll power itself off after 10 mins or so.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Yeah FD the roof lights near the rearview mirror always have power.  I linked in a cig. lighter socket in the roof space (after pulling out the light assembly) and plugged in the dashcam's adapter into it.  I also ran a switch through to between the light assembly and the head lining to switch the socket fully off when not needed.

Some places I park I leave the camera on and some cases it has been left on all weekend in the garage as I had forgotten to turn it off :(
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline alexandru79

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
same problem for me.how did you manage this?
  • i30 cw 2010

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Easy to do, but big danger of flat battery depending on device(s) connected.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal