i30 Owners Club

New i30 soon

Offline stewy76

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Guys,
I'm considering buying the new i30 hatch when it's available.
Just wondering what the 7speed DTC is like in a diesel model.
Do you notice much lag between gears changes or is there much lag from
When moving from a stand still.

Also with the 2 litre petrol model with 6 speed auto. How does the gears work in this model especially since doesn't have a DCT.

Thanks

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The new i30 hasn't arrived in the showrooms yet so it'll be hard to comment on.

If the 2ltr doesn't have DCT then the gearbox will be a standard torque converter type like most common autos.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hey Stewy,

The DCT's are so far proving to be a good thing. On the road they shift smooth and no real lag between gears at all.
Taking off from lights or similar is normal. The only time they are a bit awkward is slow small movements on hills like carpark ramps or driveways, more noticable in reverse. But its something that you get used to and can adapt to.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline stewy76

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks so much for your reply really appreciated.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
From my experience the 6 speed standard Hyundai auto is pretty smooth and reliable these days.

Like Tim says, all feedback on the 2nd generation Hyundai DCT has been quite good. One of the smoother and more trouble free DCT's from a major manufacturer. Apparently most DCT's feel a bit odd if they get wrong footed. For example if you go to slow down suddenly and then change your mind and go to accelerate again.

They certainly help fuel economy and are, in most cases, now more fuel efficient than manuals!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Quote from: Dazzler
...more fuel efficient than manuals!
Blasphemy!  :crazy1:

:lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Quote from: Dazzler
...more fuel efficient than manuals!
Blasphemy!  :crazy1:

:lol:

Dont worry, DCT is just the lazy man trying to be cool like us manual lovers.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
The DCT will have some shifting lags now and then. Although the shift itself (one clutch engages and the other disengages) is pretty quick, the next desired gear at the other axle must be pre-selected right in order to avoid delay. For example, when you are accelerating steadily, the gearbox will pre-select the next gear in the other axle and shift into it eventually, etc.

However, there will be situations when the gearbox can't guess the next wanted gear right, for example when the accelerator is suddenly pressed hard, so the gearbox was anticipating to shift up but now there's need to shift down. At this situation it must first pre-select that lower gear before shifting into it, which makes some delay. Or if you approach an intersection and almost stopping, and then pressing the accelerator, the DCT may be reluctant to pre-select the 1st gear if you don't stop completely.

When test driving the DCT, I recommend to test that kind of situations what it will do. It may be annoying if there is a lag and then sudden lurching because you instinctively give more foot because of the lag.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal