i30 Owners Club

Service missed? Should I worry?

matt-b · 4 · 1453

Offline matt-b

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Ok. It it's a bit of a long story...

Basically I saw the car online at the local dealer to me at the right price, so rang and arranged a viewing.

I went armed with figures and a budget and after a bit of sweating on both sides we shook hands on a deal.

The car is a 64 plate with 11k on the clock, I did ask that it will have been serviced and he says it would have been.

A few days later I got a call saying the car was ready, however once there and going though the paperwork it became clear that Hyundai UK hadn't sent through the log book, apparently they hang onto them until the dealer sells a car.

So they had to lend me a car, a i20 which to be honest It wasn't that big of a deal.

Next day they rang and confirmed all the paperwork was ready, however this phone message was left in my dinner break.

I replied and was told that the message will be pasted onto the sales man and all was good.

On the arranged date I turn up to find the sales man surprised by me being there, saying he hasn't had a reply from me and he was busy with a customer, so a bit of waiting a round and finally I was in the seat signing the papers off.

It was all a bit rushed and I noticed the service book, but has he had mentioned it will have been done I didn't check, I know this was my fault but the excitement I took his word for it.

Getting home I looked through the service book and it was empty, no stamps.. meaning the car hasn't been looked st for 2 1/2 years has it should have been serviced at the latest back in November.

I rang the dealer and they said they would contact Hyundai UK and find out if they had actually serviced it, because they got it direct from them.

2 1/2 weeks later I hadn't had any real concrete replies and it wasn't until I finally threaten them with rejecting the car that they agreed to do it and we arranged a date.

I turned up only to be told my car wasn't actually booked in and they had no record of this, but they would do it while I wait. A hour later my car hadn't moved and so needing to be somewhere I told them I needed them to lease me a car.

They did and over night I had a i10, finally the next day going to pick mine up.

Bare in mind this dealer is a 50 mile round trip.

So, I now have a car that is out of sync with servicing, this won't affect the warranty will it?

Sorry about the essay.

Matt
  • i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Crap.  :disapp:  Guess you wont have you car serviced by that dealer in the future.

I think the only way to get a valid answer, is to contact Hy UK and ask for confirmation. There's always some time +/- for the service intervals but November is a long time ago.
Have the dealer stamped the log book or don't they do that anymore..?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I assume the conditions of the Hy warranty are similar in all countries.
Being such a low mileage car and apparently bought and sold through Hyundai dealers, one would think that you should be covered.
However, get written confirmation.
The warranty conditions seem to be met as and when it suits individual dealerships.
I replaced the motor in a near new ix35. Driver had slightly ripped the sump and lost oil, therefore seizing the motor. Her insurance company wrote the car off. This should have negated the warranty, but the new owner's dealer said the warranty remained good for the next four years.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Matt,

Good posting (a complicated situation well explained)

As Gary (nz) says, shoot off an email to Hyundai UK (copying in the dealer)

Explain the situation but don't slag off the Dealer. Sounds like up to now all communications have been by phone. In hindsight an email trail would have covered your a$$ better (but phone is always the quick and easy way that most of us use)

Document the full situation (but try and simplify it a little bit if you can) and ask for an official confirmation/ ruling from Hyundai (in writing)

Good luck with it. They are a very reliable car and so hopefully you won't need/have a lot of warranty issues anyway.  :Touch:

Good luck either way.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal