i30 Owners Club

Changing my audio setup

Offline Fatal.lordes

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Hi all.  I've just bought my second hand 2010 i30 CW and the stereo just isn't cutting it.  I want to be able to connect to an old iphone 4s that I have loaded with music which will stay in the car or even a 64Gb USB stick BUT I want to be able to easily select what I want to listen to.  Presently, with the current stereo, this seems impossible to do as the flicking through folders is just all over the place.  I've ordered the cable that will let me plug in the iPhone but, from reading, I'm still not holding my breath that it will work (in an ideal world, I'd like to be able to search artists, then select the album).

That said, I'm thinking that I, like Bruster, will need to change the radio.  I've no issue with taking a dremel to my facia to make a double din fit, but what does freak me out is connecting the cables behind the scenes to make it work.  And, again like Bruster, I'd like to either use the existing usb/audio input which is hidden away, or snake some other input and hide it away so I don't have cables coming out the front of the stereo.  I'm guessing I'd also need some sort of fascia plate to hide the cuts, too.

So, I'm wondering if clarify about the cabling.  Will a current double din stereo be a matched plug?  Could I be that lucky?  I believe I would have to buy an aerial adapter due to Hyundai using their own version, but would I be right for everything else?  GPS would be great (saves me using my iphone).  I actually like the Cimiva stereo sample that was linked but never bought of Aliexpress (first time for everything I guess).  Will it just plug in (using aerial adapter)?  Also, I have reversing sensors.  Would they continue to work?

Sorry for all the questions.  As said, cutting my dash is fine but the cabling behind the scenes scares the bejebbers out of me so I'd really appreciate all the advice I can get to make sure I don't completely stuff things up.  :)

Cheers!
  • i30 CW 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Black

Offline Fatal.lordes

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Or, just throwing it out there, is there any one in Brisbane that has experience installing after market stereos in i30 that may want to quote me?   :P
  • i30 CW 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi, I found this after your other post. Hopefully the links I put in that will be of some help...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bpholland2510

• 1st Gear
Or, just throwing it out there, is there any one in Brisbane that has experience installing after market stereos in i30 that may want to quote me?   
I've just put one in the Mrs car. I'll post a pic up tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline bpholland2510

• 1st Gear
Or, just throwing it out there, is there any one in Brisbane that has experience installing after market stereos in i30 that may want to quote me?   
I've just put one in the Mrs car. I'll post a pic up tomorrow.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done! That looks great.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bpholland2510

• 1st Gear
I bought a replacement panel off eBay but it fitted like crap. So I grafted the surround into to original dash fascia. If you want it done for you i can give you a hand. :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal