i30 Owners Club

Car smells oily...

Offline steve8654

• 1st Gear
My car went in for a service recently and it started smelling pretty oily inside the cabin.  I think I've tracked it down to the car being overfilled. The garage has sorted that out, but I am still left with an oily smell, particularly after a run.

My question is, this overfilled oil has gone somewhere, so needs removing, cleaning, whatever. Any hints where to look?

The car is a i30 (of course) 1.6 CRDi 128bhp model, 2012.

The garage told me the oil level can go high due to the exhaust regeneration cycle? Dunno about the oil, but smells like bullshit to me.

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I fail to see how the oil level should rise because of DPF regeneration. Sounds like they have spilled a little oil maybe on the exhaust manifold where it gets hot enough to burn off the oil.

Keep an eye on the oil level and give it a few days. If still smelling, back to dealer...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:  :whsaid:

Have a good look around under the bonnet and under the car immediately after a good run (when the car is hot) looking for signs of smoke.

Some issues (not this one) can be location specific. I'm guessing by the use of bhp and DPF you are probably in the UK. It might be worth adding location to your profile (County will do) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline steve8654

• 1st Gear
Yes, I am in the UK.
I've checked around the engine bay after driving with a nice hot engine. The are no signs of oil spills or leaks. Since getting the excess oil removed it has improved but not gone away.
I shall carry on trying to work this out, it is irritating rather than a problem now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, When they serviced our FD they wanted to change the cabin filter, I said no, and they put the old filter back. Unfortunately they got oil on the old filter, and the car had an oily smell until I replaced the filter. Something to check.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I assume you're not loosing refrigerant, as that contains oil as well.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Are you smelling oil or diesel fuel?

If it is diesel , some clown may have had it on his boots or overalls. If  its in the interior fabric it will be hard to remove.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal