i30 Owners Club

Steering Saga

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My 2009 Hatch is just coming up to 100,000klms and a while back, to resolve a clunking noise, the steering bush was replaced. It’s been fine since.
Recently though, on a drive back from Brisbane I noticed a very slight tendency for the steering to sort of “tug” slightly in the straight ahead position. This is actually pretty hard to describe.

It’s only noticeable (so far) in excess of about 90 kph.

So, picture a straight road. No real need to move the steering wheel but suddenly there’ll be a very slight but clearly obvious, tug on the wheel. We’re not talking about pulling the car off line here but there IS a slightly discernible shift in the wheel under your hands.
You could almost suggest it is just normal steering correction on a straight but uneven road surface, cause by a slight dip or hollow in the road. Because of the occasional EPS issue reported on here, I admit to being a little bit paranoid about this.

So, my thinking is going in three directions.

1/ a developing problem with the EPS.

2/ a worn steering component which is allowing a tiny bit of play which is being countered by the EPS.

3/ I’m imagining things (but I’m not).

I can’t find any worn components including the two joints under the dash but it really needs to be up on a 4 poster hoist to be sure.
This is nothing like the worn bush which was only replaced last year anyway, less than 10,000 klms ago.

I might be trading in sooner rather than later.

So, I'd appreciate any feedback from @cruiserfied , @nzenigma  and @tw2005
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mate, I don't think you are imagining it, 1&2 are possibilities. The uni joints under the dash don't do much work, but they become prime suspects when that bush starts knocking.
What happens if you switch the ESP off?
If the twitch ceases it may be worth checking that the ESP / the steering column, has been centred correctly.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'll try turning ESP off, but as no work has been done on the car since last year,  amd the steering was cemtered then by Fulcrum,  I don't think that's the cause.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you replaced tyres or one tread deeper than other or pressures different?

Just my thoughts
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Have you replaced tyres or one tread deeper than other or pressures different?

Just my thoughts
As part of my checking process, I rotated the tyres, checked pressures and also  disconnected th battery for an hour.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I'll try turning ESP off, but as no work has been done on the car since last year,  amd the steering was cemtered then by Fulcrum,  I don't think that's the cause.

Expected as much. So try the ESP off and we can rule it in or out. Good luck.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Expected as much. So try the ESP off and we can rule it in or out. Good luck.
Tried that. No luck.
I will try it again on the highway but I'm sure it didn't change anything.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Just re-read post 1. Not relevant but surprised that you got 7 years (and 90,000km) out of the steering bush ( that is the internal one in the column????)  Was it done previously? It seems to be age that kills them.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just re-read post 1. Not relevant but surprised that you got 7 years (and 90,000km) out of the steering bush ( that is the internal one in the column????)  Was it done previously? It seems to be age that kills them.
Yep. That's the one.
Only that one replacement.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal