i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 2014 installing aftermarket HU

VTH · 16 · 15364

Offline VTH

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi all,

My first post. I'm not very car savvy but recently just purchased a Hyundai i30 2014 Trophy and I'm looking at replacing the factory HU with an aftermarket one. I've never done something like this before so it's a little bit daunting. I've read ibrokeit's thread on the topic but I'm still completely lost at the wiring stage.

This is a picture of my car's centre console attached. The head unit is a GD-01.

This is the aftermarket head unit I'm looking at purchasing, not confirmed but it'll be similar. Please note it comes with two harnesses as shown near the bottom of the listing.

:link: JOYING Newest RAM 2GB ROM 32GB Factory CD Player Replacement New Android 5.1.1 Lollipop System PIP Auto Radio 7 Inch Double 2 Din HD 1024*600 Resolution

I should have no problems removing the factory HU and locating the correct fascia.

My biggest concern is the wiring steps. My basic understanding is that I will use the harness that comes with the aftermarket HU and plug the connector end into the HU and at the other end I will need to wire this to another seperately bought harness and then plug this connector to the car. I'll need to ensure the harness is compatible with the car.

My car has steering wheel buttons so I will need to somehow get this to work with the aftermarket HU aswell.

Questions:

- The aftermarket HU comes with two harnesses. What are the differences and which one do I use?
- Can someone link me to a compatible hyundai harness that will work with my scenario.
- I'm confused at which plugs go into which end.
- Do I need a steering wheel adapter and where does this plug into?

Apologies if this may seem straight forward for many of you here but it's quite confusing for me :D Any help will be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:11:20 by AlanHo »
  • 2014 i30 Trophy

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hello VTH and welcome,   
 :i30:

Sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Badcop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Not sure if you looked at my post on upgrading GD-02 to GD-03 HU but I believe you could also upgrade your GD-01 in a similar fashion, depends how much you wanted the aftermarket functions. Would certainly be a simple option if you can source one from a wreckers; no need to worry about wiring. I believe the only thing you would miss out on would be the reversing camera. Android auto/apple carplay are both very cool systems for music/handsfree/voice control and navigation. As mentioned I found a GD-03 HU and got all the extra bits included for $180. Fitted and working in under an hour.
  • 2015 GD3 Series II Active X 5 door hatch auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome VTH,

Don't apologise! I'm a bit of a DYI guy, but get nervous playing with wiring in modern cars. You are quite brave to even consider it. We have some awesome members on here that will hopefully be able to help. Badcop is only new, but has already posted a great thread!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm a bit of a DYI guy, but get nervous playing with wiring in modern cars.

Welcome, VTH. As Dazz says, he's a bit of a Do Yourself In kinda guy when playing with wiring. Just thought I'd clear that up for you. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

guest9517

- The aftermarket HU comes with two harnesses. What are the differences and which one do I use?
- Can someone link me to a compatible hyundai harness that will work with my scenario.
- I'm confused at which plugs go into which end.
- Do I need a steering wheel adapter and where does this plug into?

Hi

I have just put an 7" Android-unit in my car. As your link doesnt work anymore, i cant see specific unit you liked, but most are the same/almost same inside. Just be 10000%! sure your unit has 2 GB RAM..This is VERY! important as 1 GB RAM units are utterly useless on Android 5.1 & above (youtube takes 2-3 minutes to start up alone due to CPU desperately swapping memory all the time, so dont do it ;-) )

I bought this harness for steering wheel control:

:link: Hyundai i30, i40 2012> Steering Stalk Control Adaptor Phone Button Support - CTSHY008.2

Select "CTMULTILEAD.2" under "Stereo Patch Lead:" to get correct interface between CAN-unit & Android-unit.

And then this mount:

:link: NAVITOPIA 178*102MM Car Radio Fascia for Hyundai I 30 I30 2011 2DIN Mount Kit Adapter Trim Facia Panel Frame Dashboard Panel-in Fascias from Automobiles &

You must take care, if you looking for other facia-adapters, as the chinese standard for 7" units are 178*102MM, which is 4 mm wider than traditional brands use.

The steering-wheel adapter works perfekt. I had to update firmware on my android to get it to work 100% as app´s wouldnt recognize VOL- was a bug in the firmware & after updating this, all is good.

The facia-adapter is not glossy/shiny as  original, nor has it got the metal-brackets as radio got on its side, but the panel below (heat-controls & so on), secures it & i think it looks acceptable "ok". Other brands i found claim to have the look of original surround, but they are not big enough as described above.

Good luck :-)

upload pictures

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent post ChipMIK. Appreciate that! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Try to hunt down the last of the Android Auto / Apple Car play headunits... might be ypur best option.

Keep in mind some of these chinese headunits are extremly slow and underpowered.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

guest9517

Keep in mind some of these chinese headunits are extremly slow and underpowered.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

As long as you stay away from 1 GB RAM as i stated, the unit will feel just as quick as any mid-range tablet/phone as of today. 99% of the 2GB units are at least PX-5 with 2 GB RAM & 32 GB ROM, which is fully sufficient for nav, radio (DAB) & any other app i have tried without any lag or freezing up at all.

You are prob. referring to older units with the PX-3 board & 1 GB RAM, they are useless on android v. 5 & up ;-) Android 4.4 and below they run ok, due to Android not taking up all RAM on these very! old systems that really cant been taken into account ;-)

My unit (PX-5) got Igo nav, Dashcam (DVR), radio/DAB and a danish app called "fartkontrol.nu" (to live monitor for speedtraps), running at same time. If while running these apps, i start Youtube, it will terminate radio app & shave Youtube ready within a few seconds, all while the remaining apps smoothly keeps going.

If you got an old 1GB RK3188 board, it is possible to buy a new android-board to get this performance for approx. 120$ incl. P&P (i did this as i bought my unit just before 2GB units got into reasonable pricerange & didnt realize the difference.

½ a year ago i would probably agree with you. Today units like this (Example, sold out but first i found): :link: 2-DIN Android 6.0 Marshmallow 2GB RAM Quad-Core 7? Multimedia Car GPS with Mutual Control EasyConnection (Without DVD Function) - GA2164 - EONON UK will make your day for approx 250£ (200£ for unit + 25£ harness & approx. same for facia). A plug-in integrated nav-system with handsfree & so on...I couldnt find anything that was even close when looking for my options. (And then, when Android, theres alternate firmwares & so on for those who like to play around with that part ;-) )

I might make a video when time allows to demonstrate how smooth these units works today :-)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Fartkontrol :snigger:

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pretty smart app if it can monitor speed traps and ckontrol farts :D

guest9517
 :lol: :lol:

:link: Fartkontrol.nu - DK's mest populære og GRATIS trafik-app

If you find Denmark on the above homepage, youll see som red dots...Users report where speedtraps are & if still present.

As speedingtickets here are insane high & goverment realized its an easy way of getting extra tax, they often are placed along long straight roads without any danger for +5 MPH...To avoid this extra tax, a lot now use this place....And as "fart" is speed in danish, i hope i gave you a little smile for free today  :D

Insiders would know theres no way my fart can be kept under control  :scared: :D :D :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
  (  Quote ) Insiders would know theres no way my fart can be kept under control  :scared: :D :D :D

At my age neither can I.  :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
As long as they are "lump free"all is good   :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal