i30 Owners Club

E10 fuel question

John B · 12 · 4122

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I know this has been discussed before but is any one actually using E10 fuel in their i30. I am extremely reluctant to even try it. They have been pushing it quite a bit on the tv adds in Queensland, even showing the Hyundai  running on E10. There has been so much discussion on it saying that you get less kms with a tank full so it ends up more expensive than 91. I have been using 95 since the car was new under the assumption it is a cleaner fuel than 91. Seeing E10 is made out of sugar cane do you have to stir it  up once it is in the tank. :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I quite like E10. Because it is a whole cent cheaper than 91 down here and a higher octane (95) I use it whenever available in my new PD and used it regularly in the Calais and the two hybrids without any obvious effect on economy or performance.  Infact, I have sometimes thought it made my cars feel a bit zippier, which is possible due to the higher octane. Oh, and it smells a bit nicer too!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I doubt it will have any detrimental effects on your car, especially since the RACQ is spruiking it.
However, IIRC, the original price difference was supposed to be 4c/litre over normal 91.
It's less than 2c which means in my opinion it's less economical because you do suffer slightly in the economy department.

However, perhaps that's not an issue if it's better for the environment.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Does E10 contain cleaning properties? Or is it not needed due to no carbon build up  :undecided:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
there is only 10% so not much to worry about. just can't improve economy as the 10% needs a richer afr

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
its good to hear reports first hand from you guys. It is a shame it is not  4 cents cheaper than 91.  I do like that it is better for the environment. Seeing they are pushing sales on the  E10 I wonder why they don't make it cheaper. I think it is a hard sell ,most people I think would not bother changing to save 50 cents a tank and then get lower kms .

:link: Unleaded vs E10 - the comparison test | CarsGuide
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:39:43 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I seem to get the same mileage out of a full tank of E10 as I do out of a  full tank of 91. In the Calais it was around 800kms on a trip and just over 1000 in each of my Hybrids. Haven't compared it enough in the PD to tell, but the difference in economy must be very minor.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dazz, compare it with a tank of 98 on your next fill and see if there is a difference, I'd still run a tank of 98 every 4th fill anyway just to keep the system nice and clean.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I seem to get the same mileage out of a full tank of E10 as I do out of a  full tank of 91. In the Calais it was around 800kms on a trip and just over 1000 in each of my Hybrids. Haven't compared it enough in the PD to tell, but the difference in economy must be very minor.  :undecided:

That sounds promising Dazz. My daughter uses 1 tank of 95 fuel a fortnight. If she used E10 at todays cost on the Gold Coast she would save approx $7.50 a fortnight= $195 a year. Of course that is if she gets the same km per 100 as the 95.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Dazz, compare it with a tank of 98 on your next fill and see if there is a difference, I'd still run a tank of 98 every 4th fill anyway just to keep the system nice and clean.

You will have to send Dazz the extra money Craig  :lol: ( only joking Dazz )  :wink:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Only experiences with e10 I've had were;
 Fuel pump on falcon died- tank of e10 seemed to sting my arm a bit.
1992 motorcycle needs to be retarded 10 degrees if using it. Then again it hates 98 as its too dense for the carbies
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal