i30 Owners Club

Tweeter speaker wiring in 2013 i30

Offline richardmn44

• 1st Gear

• Derbyshire, UK
Hi,
My 'Active' spec i30 doesn't have tweeters in the front, and I think the sound quality suffers for it.   So to try to improve it, I've got hold of some original mirror covers that do contain tweeters (they must have come from a higher spec i30), and I want to fit these in place of mine.
Now I was hoping that I would remove my mirror covers to find that the wiring for the tweeter would be there, ready and waiting...  But sadly it's not, so I have some wiring to do.  To help me with this, can anyone with the same model i30 whose car had factory-fitted tweeters tell me a bit about how they're wired?  ie. are they wired from the main speakers; if so is there a crossover somewhere?  Or do they seem to be wired directly from the head-unit?  (though as far as I can tell the standard non-touchscreen head unit doesn't have a 'tweeter' output, just 4 standard speaker outputs.

Any help much appreciated!

Richard
  • 2013 i30 GD 1.4 petrol manual, Active spec

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Richard.

I can't help with your query although I'd bet money they are fed from the door speakers not the head unit.

Hopefully one of our friendly members who knows the definitive answer will be along sooner or later. You may need to be patient though as being a world wide forum it can take a few days for all our more regular members to view a new thread.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Welcome in forum. Really interesting topic and question about adding tweeter speakers in the car.
I am very curious about the difference in sound quality when you will find a solution to connect them.

I may also add tweeter speakers  in the future.

Yours are like these?
:link: Tweeter Speaker Pair Genuine Part For Hyundai ELANTRA GT Hatchback i30 2012 2015 | eBay

Regards
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome in forum. Really interesting topic and question about adding tweeter speakers in the car.
I am very curious about the difference in sound quality when you will find a solution to connect them.

I may also add tweeter speakers  in the future.

Yours are like these?
:link: Tweeter Speaker Pair Genuine Part For Hyundai ELANTRA GT Hatchback i30 2012 2015 | eBay

Regards

I would have thought more like these?

:link: Tweeter Speaker Pair Genuine Parts For Hyundai Elantra Touring i30 2007 2011 | eBay

Only because I recall them being flush, not protruding at all..  :undecided:

Offline richardmn44

• 1st Gear

• Derbyshire, UK
They're just like the ones chris_i30gd found. They don't protrude as the recessed part sits behind the a-pillar when the door is closed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They're just like the ones chris_i30gd found. They don't protrude as the recessed part sits behind the a-pillar when the door is closed.

O.I.C. hadn't thought of that! :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I didn't take a look inside my doors when recently having the speakers changed but do remember the installer mentioned they don't have crossovers, I think they feed off the same wires to the mids :undecided:

I would suggest though that before installing them replace the factory tweeters with some decent silk dome tweeters, now that after upgrading my speakers I'm quite amazed at the difference between the two :goodjob2:

Offline richardmn44

• 1st Gear

• Derbyshire, UK
So on closer inspection the tweeter has a capacitor mounted to it, which it seems acts as a very simple type of crossover.  So I think I just have to wire a new cable from the main speaker terminals to the tweeter.  So next step... get the door trim off.  I can't find a guide to this for the GD model.  There's an obvious screw to remove behind the door handle, but beyond that - is it just a question of pulling the trim away from the edges to pop the clips out?  Anyone have any tips?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So on closer inspection the tweeter has a capacitor mounted to it, which it seems acts as a very simple type of crossover.  So I think I just have to wire a new cable from the main speaker terminals to the tweeter.  So next step... get the door trim off.  I can't find a guide to this for the GD model.  There's an obvious screw to remove behind the door handle, but beyond that - is it just a question of pulling the trim away from the edges to pop the clips out?  Anyone have any tips?
Yes one or two screws and the rest are clips I believe. Check you tube for removal of door trim i30 and Elantra separately. The same age elantra sedan will do as after all it is just an i30 sedan all said and done.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal