i30 Owners Club

daylight saving.

Lakes · 17 · 3151

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
it's back & I love it, how do the rest of you in states that use it in au feel?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
👍👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Doesnt do anything for me one way or the other.
I dont work to a clock.
And im awake and ofetn up long before the sun and in the surf. 😁
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I like it too John. We've had it for a long time. I remember when it was called Tassie Time before other states joined in.

My memory serves me right for once. We had it from 1968 in Tassie.  The other states that have it started 3 years later.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
We (WA) did away with it here several years ago, it didn't really bother me either way though I saw no need for daylight saving.

If people want more daylight hours they can always get up earlier :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
We (WA) did away with it here several years ago, it didn't really bother me either way though I saw no need for daylight saving.

:rofl:
It always amazes me how few people seem to not understand the mechanics of daylight saving. If you look at the eastern (beginning) edge of each time zone on a map, you'll see that on the east coast, Central and North Qld and western NSW are way west of where each zone starts. Which means they pretty much have automatic daylight saving. It's the same in your area Craig. Pert is at the western edge of the WA time zone so it would defeat it's purpose.

A significant proportion of our modern workforce has the ability to vary its start and finish times so if they want more daylight at the end of the day to spend with family, they can just start earlier. And modern business with web technology also knows no timetable.

I honestly think it's outlived its usefulness.  :mrgreen:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I consider the UK daylight saving time totally unnecessary. I hate having to change our watches and clocks twice a year which I sometimes forget with obvious consequences.

Surferdude is right - the schools, shops and industry could vary their starting times to suit the seasonal changes

When I come to power I will ban it
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
👍👍

I'd rather that it stay earlier all year.
Used to work days, nights, during the week. or weekend,  sometimes 2:00am starts , 11.5 hrs shifts on the weekend.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Having changed our clocks on the weekend, then flown to QLD and changed it back again the next day, I'm over it. One in all in, preferably all out.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It doesn't really affect me either way now I am retired.

I guess I could NOT go to work an hour earlier each day and then NOT have to come home an hour earlier?  :crazy2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It doesn't really affect me either way now I am retired.

I guess I could NOT go to work an hour earlier each day and then NOT have to come home an hour earlier?  :crazy2:
THAT'S the spirit.   :goodjob: :goodjob2:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I would prefer to go to work and hour later and come home an hour earlier................... :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
We switch to "normal time" the 29th. Changing to summer time is completely useless! We should be on normal time all year.

Also! I think its rather funny that we actually call it normal time and summer time. :)
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What i can't understand is when the clocks go back an hour at the end of october, why can't i get another hour of prayers....
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 19:35:18 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

:rofl:

It always amazes me how few people seem to not understand the mechanics of daylight saving. If you look at the eastern (beginning) edge of each time zone on a map, you'll see that on the east coast, Central and North Qld and western NSW are way west of where each zone starts. Which means they pretty much have automatic daylight saving. It's the same in your area Craig. Pert is at the western edge of the WA time zone so it would defeat it's purpose.

A significant proportion of our modern workforce has the ability to vary its start and finish times so if they want more daylight at the end of the day to spend with family, they can just start earlier. And modern business with web technology also knows no timetable.

I honestly think it's outlived its usefulness.  :mrgreen:

Trev broken hill you put your clock back half an hour , so it is never on same time zone as Sydney. I think sun comes up latter in Queensland further you go north in summer time.
but in middle of summer in Sydney the sun would rise at 5am or earlier, when the sun is up it wakes me up anyway.
in tassie the sun comes up even earlier than Sydney  so I guess it does not rise till 6am in north Queensland

so when clock 6am in Sydney , the clock will be 5.30 am in broken hill no matter  it is always half hour behind Sydney. so how does that effect them with daylight savings?

this is probably reason why tassie have had daylight saving longer than the rest of Australia. and why curtains fade more in tassie than Queensland. ( more sunlight in summer time )
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 19:38:40 by Lakes »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

this is probably reason why tassie have had daylight saving longer than the rest of Australia. and why curtains fade more in tassie than Queensland. ( more sunlight in summer time )

I like your thinking John (I always thought it was the hole in the ozone layer!)

I hate the extra cost of sunscreen I have to buy during daylight savings! Must be daylight savings fault, I don't need any over the winter...  :crazy1:

Offline Jeff70

• 2nd Gear

• Launceston
I like it....more time to do stuff after work ect.
The first day or so is a slight body clock adjustment,other than that its all good.
  • i30 SR 2017

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal