i30 Owners Club

Scammer's new voice.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
About 5pm last night , the home phone rang. I answered expecting to hear the voice of some Indian scammer calling himself George Jackson or a similar Western name.
Indeed it was a scam dressed up as a survey.
 However, this 'Bill Smith' appeared to be a 'Westerner', possibly on a speaker phone.
I cut the call but this ballsy dude immediately called back and asked why I had hung up on him and tried to continue his pitch. He did understand "because you are a scammer, F***Ov" .

I was thinking about his voice; it was good but not perfect.
 I conclude that this scammer was using some synthesised voice programme to immediately relay his part of the conversation to me. It hid his accent and almost all non-Western 'word stressing'.

8/10 for effort.  :spitty:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
A lot of nuisance calls around lately. I have a call blocker app on my android phone which is very quick to use. If the number is displayed I can block it quickly before they try again. I probably have about 20 numbers in my block list and it even knows to block similar numbers with different extensions! It lets me know when I've missed a call from a blocked number.. some of them still keep trying.  :victory:

Have six cordless phones in our house combo of 4 uniden and 2 x Panasonic,  but only cheap ones so haven't worked out if I can do call blocking with them yet. Don't think so.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes Dazz, you can block quite a few but some of these damn call centres seem to get around it.
Ive heard so many Indians trying to pull this or that stunt, I completely distrust any possibly legitimate ones who call me.
The local Mid East gentlemen call and start the conversation in a most friendly manner, quickly they let you know what they are interested in then reception fails. They wait for you call back so that you pay for the call.  :phone1:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I know what you mean Gary. When we got the NBN connected a while back an indian sounding guy from telstra rang several times to check how it was going. I nearly hung up each time until I was sure it was legit. The stupid part was, when I said it slowed down considerably in the evenings he didn't offer a solution. :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Most Indian and Philippines call centres now provide language courses in which they’ll teach accents, many of their personal have also lived and schooled in western countries and they practice hard to eliminate their natural accent so that they can assimilate easier, our culture is more welcoming to those who speak the lingo.

Next step is to ditch the home line, I’ve never had a nuisance call on my mobile :goodjob2:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
We just let them call and then set phone aside and continue doing what we were doing   :mrgreen:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
.... practice hard to eliminate their natural accent so that they can assimilate easier, our culture is more welcoming to those who speak the lingo.

:whistler: :whistler: :rolleyes: :whistler: :whistler:         :rolleyes: :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

.... practice hard to eliminate their natural accent so that they can assimilate easier, our culture is more welcoming to those who speak the lingo.

Yeah, some immigrants can even say fish and chips properly!  :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Yeah, some immigrants can even say fish and chips properly!  :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's ok Gary, you've been here long enough to have probably lost the accent!  :winker:

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Get 'em to say: "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain". That'll sort the men out from the boys!
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :goodjob2:   :rofl:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's ok Gary, you've been here long enough to have probably lost the accent!  :winker:
Kiwis NEVER lose their accent.  :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
NEVER....  we stand out from the greater unwashed rabble  :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal