i30 Owners Club

Fall Creators Update

CraigB · 35 · 7796

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Managed to get one system updated last night/early morning, it took forever as the update completely sucks the life out of my bandwidth when downloading via Windows updates making any web browsing come to a standstill  :rolleyes:

3 and a half hours for the first system :Shocked: and now 40% through downloading on the second :p

The update itself installed fine and no settings changed, seems a little faster on startup and shutdown.
Used CCleaner to delete the XBox rubbish that got reinstalled but no negatives so far :)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What size is it Craig?
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just shy of 4.5Gb, I was going to download the iso file last night but the world wide demand for the file was crashing websites so I just let Windows do it.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I installed it on my Desktop and laptop last evening - all went smoothly and took the best part of an hour to carry out with both downloading at the same time.

I tried to install it on my wife's laptop which is the same model as mine - but it kept saying that windows is up to date with version 1703. I tried again this morning with the same result.  I guess it is in a long queue on the MS Server
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I installed it on my Desktop and laptop last evening - all went smoothly and took the best part of an hour to carry out with both downloading at the same time.
Screw you and your fast internet :fuckyou: :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:lol:

I let my prime laptop download it half an hour ago - it took 11 minutes to get W1709 but the killer is the "Preparing to install updates xx%" which takes forever and a day.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
:lol:

I let my prime laptop download it half an hour ago - it took 11 minutes to get W1709
Screw you too :fuckyou: :fuckyou: Twice :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
ns
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Trish bought herself an Xbox one for Christmas and it  came with a free game. A 51 gigabyte download! Took aabout 10 hours!  :crazy2: :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have experienced a problem with the update.

We have a home network with my desktop connected to the router by Ethernet cable and our two laptops connected by wireless.

Before the windows update all 3 computers could "see" each other via File explorer (network) and they all had full control over each other's files.

Thye current situation is that my Desktop can "see" both laptops and has full control over their files. However, the laptops cannot "see" the other computers. Hence I now have one-way network traffic.

I have spent a long time today making sure that all 3 computer have absolutely identical network and file sharing settings. I have re-booted them several times, I have used the Windows network trouble shooter on all 3 computers - all to no avail.

The laptops are "blind" and cannot see the other computers, but the Desktop computer can see them all.

Grrrr - I bet it's something really simple and I am going to look like an idiot. :head_knock:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Alan, all I can think that might have changed is possibly the firewall - public and private setting, open Windows Defender and click on Firewall and Network Protection, for all systems to see each other the firewall setting would need to be on Private...if it aint that I'm stumped.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My download speed is 7.80Mbps and upload is 0.88Mbps

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My download speed is 7.80Mbps and upload is 0.88Mbps
John, you'd better clear at least a 4 hour window for the download and install, and don't plan on being able to use the internet while it's downloading.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Try going into Setting > Network & Internet > Network troubleshooter

ns

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Try going into Setting > Network & Internet > Network troubleshooter

As my post explained - I have already done that on all 3 computers...... :crazy1:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
@AlanHo

After this update I noticed my TV can't see my laptop, for file/media streaming.

To enable this, and it appears other items, I had to do the following (on my laptop).

Control Panel > Network & Sharing Centre > Change Advanced Sharing Settings

Scroll down to "All Networks"

Turn on "Public Folder Sharing", which seems to have been disabled by this update.

I also turned on "media streaming", which seems to have been turned off by this update.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll beat Craig too it.. I think that was what Craig was saying... :victory:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The plot thickens.

All the firewalls are set to pivate

After running the trouble shooters again - which found nothing as far as I know, checking again all the network and sharing settings on the 3 computers and re-booting them all, the situation is a little better but confuses me even more.

My desktop can see the two laptops and has full control if their files.

My wifes laptop can see the desktop and my laptop and has control of their files

My laptop can see the desktop and has full control of its files - but cannot see my wife's laptop.

I can live with that situation because I am able to copy files across all 3 machines - but it is a niggle not to understand it.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You need to simplify your life, Alan :P

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You need to simplify your life, Alan :P

Alan is a lot more organized and thorough than me! As long as I can copy stuff to and from my two NAS drives I'm happy...

Offline Jeff70

• 2nd Gear

• Launceston
CC Cleaner?   
Graig,I think you need to google CC Cleaner and the recent malware saga.

Hope your PC is ok....
  • i30 SR 2017

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
CC Cleaner?   
Graig,I think you need to google CC Cleaner and the recent malware saga.

Hope your PC is ok....
I know all about the CCleaner hack and only a few companies were targeted, Avast and CCleaner rectified the issue soon after the discovery and all is fine, all that is required is to install the latest 5.35.6210 :goodjob2:

You can read about it here on the forum :link: Downloaded CCleaner lately? Read on...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:38:04 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Want to beef up your security level in Windows Defender in the FCU (Fall Creators Update)

More easily done on Pro and enterprise levels of Windows because of the gpedit access, though for Home editions most settings can still be changed via Powershell and the registry "be forewarned that modifying registry settings can be detrimental to the system if done wrong, if not comfortable modifying registry settings then please leave well enough alone".

- Exploit protection is enabled by default in FCU so no need to tinker with anything there :)

- Controled Folder access is an option than can be enabled if you wish to test via Defender's UI :link: Stopping ransomware where it counts: Protecting your data with Controlled folder access ? Windows Security blog I tested this for a short time and works well though can be a little annoying if you want to make changes to items inside the protected folders or programs wanting access to the folder contents until you've granted/set permissions for all unwanted blocks.

- Network Protection is an extra feature within Exploit Guard that can be turned on easily to block phishing scams - IP's, exploits, and other malicious content on the Internet. :link: Turn Network protection on | Microsoft Docs

- Attack surface reduction rules (ASR) is another componant within Exploit Guard which can be activated if needing the specific blocking techniques though a little more fiddly, I've not tinkered with these ones yet :link: Use Attack surface reduction rules to prevent malware infection | Microsoft Docs

-Blocking levels for Defenders Cloud Protection can also be adjusted, I've personally been running the High level setting for the last few days with no adverse affects, though higher levels can give more false positives :link: How to Set High Blocking Level for Cloud Protection in Windows Defender Windows 10

Enjoy playing :) and dont forget to copy your previous settings or save the links in case you wish to revert any setting.

Edited to correct Network Protection link.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 17:57:16 by CraigB »

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Good old Linux Mint. Got it on laptop eventually after converting iso file to the proper one. Most of the above is way beyond me not being brought up with computers. My grandson who is 8 year old keeps me right. :happydance: :happydance:
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Good old Linux Mint. Got it on laptop eventually after converting iso file to the proper one. Most of the above is way beyond me not being brought up with computers. My grandson who is 8 year old keeps me right. :happydance: :happydance:
Windows is user friendly and more compatible when compared to trying to get much loved software to run on Linux, Linux also isn't safe from malware like it once was.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Controled Folder access is an option ...

A right royal pain in the ass over the past 5 days, until I re-disabled it.

So annoying to get to the end of a text edit on a config file, only for Defender to tell me it has discarded all my changes  :spitty: :confused:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Controled Folder access is an option ...

A right royal pain in the ass over the past 5 days, until I re-disabled it.

So annoying to get to the end of a text edit on a config file, only for Defender to tell me it has discarded all my changes  :spitty: :confused:
Yeah it can be annoying which is why it's not activated by default, much like HIP's programs can be a PITA :head_knock:

Hopefully Windows gets some update to simplify it, probably have to wait until the next release :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well I got tired of adding exclusions folders so in the end I just canned it.

Good idea in principle though.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal