i30 auto diesel, gearing ratio/revs

Offline tristo07

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
first time posting... currently looking to purchase a i30 as a daily driver,
looking at a i30 09 turbo diesel.
what sort of revs does a auto do around 100kmh - 110kmh
reason i ask is these models have a 4 speed auto and i do country highway driving, want to make sure it won't be revving very high which could lead to fuel usage.
  • i30 slx 09 turbo diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
:welcum:
Mine would do 2.5K at 100 if I were to keep it in 4th. No idea whether that matches the auto.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
first time posting... currently looking to purchase a i30 as a daily driver,
looking at a i30 09 turbo diesel.
what sort of revs does a auto do around 100kmh - 110kmh
reason i ask is these models have a 4 speed auto and i do country highway driving, want to make sure it won't be revving very high which could lead to fuel usage.
They're pretty close to each other around 2200 RPM. Manual may be a whisker less.  If I get bored this morning I'll take each out for a drive and throw the scantool on it and get an exact figure.

Traditionally manual will be slightly better fuel wise. I prefer Auto with stop start traffic and more relaxed driving, manual
can be a lot of fun and better spread of gears.

With the tank brimmed I have nearly reached 1200 k in my hatch auto and had low to mid 5s per 100 yet my wagon seems thirsty around 6s
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tristo07

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
Yeh I’m going auto due to traffic and partner able to drive it etc
But worried a 4 speed auto will be to high in the revs on a 100kmh road

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

They are not too bad revs wise (Diesels are lower revving by nature than petrols)

From my almost 10 years on this site, the feedback is that the 4 speed auto is quite a bit thirstier than the manual in that model say 1 to 1.5 litres per 100 kilometres in most situations but still economical compared to a petrol. It is not the revs at 110 kph that makes it thirstier though it is just the nature of the 4 speed torque converter auto transmission (not very efficient)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
With the torque converter lockup there'll be nothing in it at HWY speeds, just check the Auto out thoroughly and watch for any delayed gear engagement from park. Also 2-3 shifts.

Some of these have suffered Valve Body wear and failures. Check fluid condition and it's age. Some of these service intervals are rediculously long for a fluid change.

Unless it's obvious that the fluid is pretty new and pink I like to flush mine from the start.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

They are not too bad revs wise (Diesels are lower revving by nature than petrols)

From my almost 10 years on this site, the feedback is that the 4 speed auto is quite a bit thirstier than the manual in that model say 1 to 1.5 litres per 100 kilometres in most situations but still economical compared to a petrol. It is not the revs at 110 kph that makes it thirstier though it is just the nature of the 4 speed torque converter auto transmission (not very efficient)
True, but boy, you get plenty of torque. I feel I get the pull of a small six in a small car. Coming from a six cyl @ 12-13l / 100 averaging 7 in an Auto. Miles ahead :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

True, but boy, you get plenty of torque. I feel I get the pull of a small six in a small car. Coming from a six cyl @ 12-13l / 100 averaging 7 in an Auto. Miles ahead :happydance:

Yep, that torque is addictive on the highway. My Manual 5 speed 2008 CRDi was great. I remember keeping a WRX honest up the Southern Outlet in Launceston. I can still see the driver's face!  :D :happydance:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
We drove the Great Ocean Road out to Lorne, Anglesea, Queenscliff and Ocean Grove just for something to do today. Despite the heavy stop/start traffic around Anglesea and all the climbing, winding coastal sections, Firty returned a nice 4.4 for the trip. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:victory: :hatoff:

Offline tristo07

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
Thanks for the info, have read up about manuals being more efficient.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal