i30 Owners Club

2.0 L i30 takes multiple goes to start when cold

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Administrator Comment Split from :link: 2.0 L i30 takes multiple goes to start when cold

Long time no post for me, Any update on what the outcome was for this issue?

We have a 2008 2.0L petrol 85000km with a similar issue at the moment however it hasn't yet failed to start, just rough running for the 3-4 seconds directly after starting then it runs sweet. If i do the key on for 10 secs then off a few times before starting the issue is not there. It also feels down on power around town and on the highway and excessive fuel consumption.

It has no logged or active fault codes.

All i've done so far is a fuel filter and Throttle body and IAC valve clean around 5000km ago.

I've just ordered a fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs and leads, and may just order a cam angle sensor while i'm going.

Is it likely for a Cam angle sensor to be dodgy without throwing a code?

Anyone care to share some thoughts on this?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Is it likely for a Cam angle sensor to be dodgy without throwing a code?

Anyone care to share some thoughts on this?
Normally Tim and I would say code is to be expected, but recently had two instances where there has been none.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 22:23:13 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@komaterpillar Hi Brett, nice to hear from you!  :happydance:

Have you tried running a couple of tanks of 98 through it?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Thought i should update this as the interwebs are littered with threads that never post a conclusion to the problem.

so after my post above (8 months ago) I chucked a set of plugs and leads in it - the plugs only had around 20k kms on them but the leads were however original, so nearly 10 years old. This seemed to improve the fuel consumption and rough start up. all up until about a month ago when the rough startup returned, however only first thing in the morning and was fine for the rest of the day. And then this week not starting first go 3 mornings and taking 2-3 long cranks to get it to fire.

And still no codes

I suspected the fuel pump was a bit dodgy just because of the age of the vehicle. Put the clamp meter on it and it's only pulling 4.7amps so unlikely an issue.

After reading in this thread about the Purge Control Valve causing similar symptoms to what we were experiencing I removed it from the system and plugged up the port on the intake manifold - just to try and prove the point.

Anyway all that was done last night and all the symptoms seem to have gone so now waiting for Monday to order a replacement and hopefully all will be sorted.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:49:48 by komaterpillar »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good one, mate, sounds very promising! :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :Good_luck:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers Brett.  :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the update Brett.
As you note, lots of takers and very few givers on the interweb, so appreciate your feed back. The purge valve is a good option, best of luck.
 Gary :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal