i30 Owners Club

Replacing Satnav unit in 2014 i30 Premier

huntdm · 9 · 2783

Offline huntdm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Florey, ACT
I have just had my second Satnav unit fail one day outside the 3 year warranty period. The original unit was replaced 12 months after purchase, and this second one lasted 2 years almost to the day, of the previous replacement.  I was advised today that the replacement unit only has a 12 month warranty.  I am hoping Hyundai will recognize the 3 year warranty period and replace the unit under warranty. Has anybody had a similar experience.  It would appear there is a systemic problem with these units.  How much did it cost to have Hyundai replace the unit if they will not replace it under warranty, and would the cost of upgrading the unit to the current model be as cheap ?

Any comments would be appreciated

• i30 Premium Hatch

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
General rule is the replacement only takes the remaining warranty. 

However, given what has happened and being just 1 out then i would argue the case with hy that it should be replaced foc.

Did you by chance mention issue to the dealer prior to it it failing as it would then be covered as an ongoing issue.

Depending on your previous dealings with the dealer i,e. purchases, services etc dealers will take up your case with hy hq on your behalf.

Keep us informed of outcome..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When my GD01 unit blew up Hyundai flatly refused to replace the unit with the later model GD03 when I asked if it was possible, warranty wont allow the upgrade changeover so I let them waste money on replacing the original unit then at a later date I updated it myself to a GD03 unit from Stanvac wreckers :)

Offline huntdm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Florey, ACT
Thank you for your comments.  I will see what happens when they are able to provide a technician to look at it on the 5th Feb.  It was a sudden failure similar to the initial one which was due to a failure of a chip in the unit.  Nuisance is I dont have a clock to go by on the console because it relies on the GPS .  I am taking the view that any replacement within the warranty period of three years should nut negate the remainder of the 3 year warranty, and I am assuming that given their is an initail 3 year warranty, then there should be a reasonable expectation that the units will last 3 years.  At the moment I think they are falling back on the general policy of a 12 month warranty on parts replacement.

Nuisance of course is having to wait 2 weeks for them to simply confirm the unit is dead, I am suspecting they have a technical expert somewhere who floats around the service centres.  All repairs previously have been good, just didn't expect an initial reaction that the replaced unit o9nly lats for 12 months for warranty purposes.

In the long run I am anticipating I might have to update the unit.

I will post the outcome for others to see.

• i30 Premium Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good luck with it. Disapointing. ..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline huntdm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Florey, ACT
Thank you Craig.  You will see my last reply.  Interesting days ahead it seems. I appreciate your comment.
  • i30 Premium Hatch

Offline huntdm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Florey, ACT
Hyundai today (5 Feb) advised that the software was an old version, this has now been updated and maps updated.  Unit works fine.  I was expecting the unit required replacing given fault was similar to original.  Nice to have some good news on these units as there appears to be a systemic problem with them failing.
  • i30 Premium Hatch

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the update.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal