i30 Owners Club

DCT suddenly cannot reverse, stuck in third and fifth in gear

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
Hi,

My GD4 i30 diesel with DCT has been going very well (apart from a dodgy bit of panel repair work by the insurer) until today.

At 47,000km I came home, went inside to fetch some gear, restarted the car and tried to reverse out of the driveway.  Then I discovered the reverse gear gave no throttle at all.

Youtube video:  :link: Hyundai i30 2015 GD4 diesel dual clutch automatic - gearbox failure - YouTube

I could move forward, so I inched forward and rolled out of the driveway very slowly (no power).  The car could only drive in third and fifth gear.  Manually selecting gears did not work.  I drove around the block and returned to my house, disappointed to have a dead car.

About five minutes later I restarted the i30 and everything was good again.  Drove 60km without any problems.

Has anyone seen a problem like this?  Tomorrow is a public holiday in Australia and I cannot take the car to the dealership until Monday.  Check engine light remained off, so I'm hoping some error was logged otherwise the mechanics will say everything is sweet.  I'm glad I recorded the video to show the fault did occur.

I know VW and Ford had horror problems with their dual clutch automatics, but is there any word of Hyundai having dual clutch problems of their own?
  • i30 GD4 Active 1.6 CDRi 7 speed DCT

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Passenger on this one. Interesting video. Some kind of failsafe I'd say. If you had  not said it was DCT I would have thought conventional auto.

You watch it'll be one of those intermittent glitches that will never happen at the dealer. Well I hope it's not, will be interesting to read though your reports. :goodjob:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
As soon as the problem occurred my first thought was 'better get this on video, as the ECU may not log a fault'.  I didn't get any footage of the car stuck driving in third and fifth gear however.  The main troubleshooting method of mechanics these days is 1:  See the logs on the computer.  No errors?  Good to go.  The fact that restarting the car cleared the error amused me, as I'm a programmer and one of the first fault solving methods is the good old 'sir, please restart your computer'.

I should know more next week when I have a chance to visit the dealer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Cluster2,

There was a fairly recent instance of a DCT failure reported in a similar vintage UK vehicle I think. The Hyundai DCT has proven very much more reliable than the VW and Ford ones and apparently they continue to tweak and improve it with every model. For example the version in my PD SR  is supposed to work a little more smoothly than the previous version in the veloster.  A certain percentage of any mechanical component will always fail though.

I will go look for the recent thread where the DCT was fixed under warranty and post a link here.

This wasn't the one I was thinking of (still looking ) but it is a similar vintage DCT

:link: Rattle comming from my i30 1.6 turbo 7 speed auto
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
The car has been to Hyundai for a checkup.  A "historic" error code was found in the transmission, but the receptionist didn't tell me what the code was.  The error has been cleared and the car has performed perfectly over the past eight days, so whatever happened has not reoccurred. 

I was advised to bring the car back if it happens again.  I was a little surprised that despite an error being raised, the 'check engine' light on the dashboard remained unlit.  I guess it literally is for engine only errors despite the car barely being able to move, and not anything else in the system.

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
...............I was advised to bring the car back if it happens again. ......................
LOL,  :sweating: bet you're glad they told you that, as if you needed to be. :faint:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal