i30 Owners Club

2008 I30 NOISY IDLE, MORE WHEN AIRCON ON, AFTER LAST SERVICE

JOOLZ69 · 12 · 10535

Offline JOOLZ69

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      albany, western australia
I have an 2008 I30 1.6 diesel auto that has started making a real rattly idle after last service.  They changed the serpentine belt and the tensioner, the tensioner was found dislodged, so they replaced again.  Had another mechanic change the harmonic balancer and the belt as he found it was too short also the idler pulley's but noise lessened but still evident. he scanned it and checked firing adjustment, added fuel treatment but still sounds noisy like after that service. He also added fuel treatment.  Help.  I thought aircon didn't work but this mechanic says it does but he said it does get noisier when you put it on due to the load it puts on the engine. I want to sell the car but think that if anyone listens to the engine they will say there is something wrong with it due to the diesel rattle noise. I get that it will have a diesel rattle but this load??? Help anyone else had/have same issue. Car has done 184,000km.  Has run fine for ages(x did services).  Now what?? tia
  • HYUNDAI I30 2008 auto 1.6ltr

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I have an 2008 I30 1.6 diesel auto that has started making a real rattly idle after last service.  They changed the serpentine belt and the tensioner, the tensioner was found dislodged, so they replaced again.  Had another mechanic change the harmonic balancer and the belt as he found it was too short also the idler pulley's but noise lessened but still evident. he scanned it and checked firing adjustment, added fuel treatment but still sounds noisy like after that service. He also added fuel treatment.  Help.  I thought aircon didn't work but this mechanic says it does but he said it does get noisier when you put it on due to the load it puts on the engine. I want to sell the car but think that if anyone listens to the engine they will say there is something wrong with it due to the diesel rattle noise. I get that it will have a diesel rattle but this load??? Help anyone else had/have same issue. Car has done 184,000km.  Has run fine for ages(x did services).  Now what?? tia

A lot of weird things in that list, changed belt and tensioner, found dislodged? What does that mean?

then they replaced it again! WIth another new one?
 Then a harmonic balancer replaced, belt too short? How? If it was to short you would not get it on.

So we can't hear this uness you want to put a recording or short video up, but at idle have a close look at the tensioner , is it nice and steady or is it shaking wildly?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Here you can watch this. This was my old motor in our wagon, which had a weird chain noise but as the video goes on I have a torch on the tensioner. Notice how it's vibrating idle, with rpm increase it goes smooth. My other hatch was a lot smoother at idle.

Offline JOOLZ69

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I am told the tensioner was worn on the pivot after just being replaced.  The belt that was taken off was a 110(there are 3 sizes to choose from aftermarket) should of had 115. I will get video put up in mean time what causes the tensioner to jump around and make knocking noise? tia

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I am told the tensioner was worn on the pivot after just being replaced.  The belt that was taken off was a 110(there are 3 sizes to choose from aftermarket) should of had 115. I will get video put up in mean time what causes the tensioner to jump around and make knocking noise? tia
Reading between the lines likely you mean 1810 and 1815 or 5PK1810, 5PK1815.

Dependant on the production date of yours, yes there's another size due to a different water pump used in the first ones which changed early 2008.

Going on what you've said OEM size was 5PK1811. So depending on the brands you'll see discrepancies. I've seen 1810 & 1815 quoted as correct size and fitted both but BOSCH make the exact size which is what I use now at 5Pk1811.

If you are saying the tensioner is violent and knocking then the answer is most likely Alternator clutch pulley seizure.

:link: FD i30 CRDi drive belt and alternator rebuild

The video I put up is after the new pulley and new tensioner. That's where I stopped but it was acceptable just not as good as my other car, but that's another story

You'll see varied prices for the parts. I used sparesbox at the time it was free ship.

I never did rebuild the alternator but the brushes and commutator were worn at 170000K . If you were keeping it's worth considering if replacing the alternator as a whole @ $400(Ebay autopartswill) is better in the long term.

If you consider a used alternator instead, then you need to check the clutch pulley is not seized and there's two types fitted. One has two pins and the other 3 pins. I went to get a used one and it also had high K's, when I went to collect I checked the pulley, also seized and I think it was around 160000k

373002A110 is the part number fitted of the two pin . Likely that is the one fitted to yours as I have two 2008 and one 2010 CRDis and they all have that one. Could be 2011 it changed

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Could be the alternator clutch pulley, have a look at this video

:link: How to Test and Replace an Alternator Clutch Pulley - YouTube
Typical, I never learnt how to be succinct, took me 28 mins to type mine up :rofl:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Could be the alternator clutch pulley, have a look at this video

:link: How to Test and Replace an Alternator Clutch Pulley - YouTube
Typical, I never learnt how to be succinct, took me 28 mins to type mine up :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:  . at least we came to same result, and your post is certainly more thorough than mine...  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline JOOLZ69

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Cheers.  Have had alternator pulley changed now but still has same noise :blubber:
Feel it's going to be a difficult sell being so noisy, maybe it is the alternator itself :sweating:
Appreciate your input

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Cheers.  Have had alternator pulley changed now but still has same noise :blubber:
Feel it's going to be a difficult sell being so noisy, maybe it is the alternator itself :sweating:
Appreciate your input

Sorry, still don't understand. Most if not all of these parts should be able to be correctly diagnosed by a qualified good mechanic to be either serviceable or not.

We have nothing to go on, upload a video if you can.

The alternator clutch pulley is either working or not. Was it seized?

Offline JOOLZ69

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Will do, once I work how to upload it:)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Unread Posts