new Tyre Tread Depth

AlanHo · 10 · 3196

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
@Surferdude : I have a tyre question. My Niro was fitted from new with Michelin  Energy Savers 205/60/R16 92H

When a spate of really wet weather hit us last year I found them skittish in the wet and it frightened my wife when the ABS kicked in during braking. It is difficult to quantify but it didn't feel right even though nowadays I am far from being a sporty driver. I experimented with various tyre pressures to no avail

So, at 3,800 miles (6,100 km) I changed all 4 tyres to Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres - same size and spec. I might be kidding myself but I feel that these are fine in the wet and definitely slightly less noisy. It has knocked about 2% off the average economy though.

I am about to sell the original tyres and I have checked the tread depth using my vernier depth gauge.

The tyres that came off the front have tread depths in the range 5.6 mm to 5.8mm
The tyres that were on the rear have tread depths in the range 6.0 to 6.2 mm

My question is - what would you expect the tread depth to have been when new. It will help me to determine a fair sales price

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Most new tyres here in Australia are (or were a few years ago), between 8mm and 8.5 mm.
However, Gonz has quoted some official Michelin figures so I'd go with that.
Seems a fair amount  of wear for 3800 miles though. And it would be worse if they started out over 8mm.
I hear good things about the Efficient Grip.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks for the information guys - very helpful.

If the tyres started at 7.5 mm tread and you let them reach 1.6 mm (I never do - 2mm has always been my minimum) then the predicted tyre life - if the wear rate is constant - works out at 16,000 to 18,000 miles ( 26,000 to 29,000 km) - which in my case means 2 years.

I have yet to see any posts on the KIA Niro forum about rapid tyre wear and in my case the tread depth is consistent across the full width of each tyre so it is not the alignment. I  must ask my wife what she gets up to when she is out in the car..... :rofl:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I’ll keep a track of them, I just bought 4 new 195/65/15 energy saver+g1 to fit when the snow melts. Then I can support or dissagree with ya and compare wear rates.

I measured my thread to 6mm though, so I think I might have looked at the wrong scale, will have to recheck now!
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My Davanti tyres were 7mm new
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I was going to mention that a few years ago, a tyre chain in Australia had It's own brand name tyres made to it's own specs.
They had 7mm tread new.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I was going to mention that a few years ago, a tyre chain in Australia had It's own brand name tyres made to it's own specs.
They had 7mm tread new.

I'm guessing they had the same initials as a certain number plate we discussed earlier...  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
They had 7mm tread new.

I'm guessing they had the same initials as a certain number plate we discussed earlier...  :whistler:

I have no idea who you mean................... :P

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I'm guessing they had the same initials as a certain number plate we discussed disgust earlier...  :whistler:

Put it right for you Dazz (but with impure grammar)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal