i30 Owners Club

Air con leak

Offline rcflyers

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
My 2009 i30 1.6 CRDi was topped up last summer and worked fine but the aircon is not working again now.
Is there a common part on that car that fails and allows the gas to leak out?
Thanks.
  • Getz i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There are numerous areas in the refrigerant system where leaks can develop, best to get it in and have it pressure tested...which should have been done prior to your last re-gas if they weren't being lazy by topping up the old refrigerant with new :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We do get reports of gas leaks but certainly not a common fault.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Basically any joint has the potential to leak. Also if i was fine last summer and the compressor has been idle all through the cold months then compressor shaft seals could be an issue too. Ideally you should run the A/C even in winter just to help keep these seals good but everything reaches an age where they need replacing.

If they've used dye in the system UV light may highlight the leaky spots or a leak detector or even just an oily bulid up as the refrigerant and lubricant are mixed together.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Aussie Elapid

• 1st Gear
My 2009 i30 1.6 CRDi was topped up last summer and worked fine but the aircon is not working again now.
Is there a common part on that car that fails and allows the gas to leak out?
Thanks.
You have anywhere up to 10 O rings that are you most common source of leaks.
Any professional that regasses should leak test or suggest replacing these.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
The condenser was replaced under warranty on my 2009.5 model year 1.6 u2 crdi. I believe they were prone to corrosion and the part was modified during the FD production run.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Most likely the condenser, could even be a stone creating the leak.

I changed the condenser on my 2008, it's a pretty easy job, but off course you need to have the system evacuated first.
They should have filled in a little dye last time they topped up your system, as TW say, then it's easy to find the leak with the UV lamp..  :P
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Generally for leak testing they’ll evacuate the system and see if it holds vacuum, if it doesn’t hold vacuum then the system is pressurised with nitrogen so a leak detector can be used to pin point the exact area of the leak.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal