i30 Owners Club

2013 i30 intermittent starting issues

RL16 · 7 · 3954

Offline RL16

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi all,

Hoping for any advice or info that may be out there.

I own a 2013 i30 Premium, I have had the car for 2.5 years and had virtually no issues up until a year or so ago.

One morning I could not start the engine, when in the car with key fob the ignition would light up acknowledging that the fob was there, but when pressing the ignition button, nothing would happen (foot was on brake).

My dad (ex-mechanic) came home from work and had a fiddle. He was able to get the car started, by pressing the shift lock button and then pulling back on the gear which instantly started the engine (without pressing ignition button).

This happened a few more times but was always able to get started by doing the same as he had. I notified the dealership and took the car in to be looked at, I was sent away with a replaced fob battery..

Issue continued intermittently, so I recorded a video to then show the dealer. After returning a further two times, the dealer had the car for the day and advised that the fob was short circuiting.

After having the fob circuit board replaced, the issue stopped for 3-4 months. Unfortunately this has started to happen again this week, I’m quite concerned as my warranty is due to run out in September but as this is an intermittent issue, the dealer does not seem very interested in investigating further.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:31:51 by RL16 »
  • 2013 i30 Premium

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
seems to remain a dealer issue, @Dazzler  may like to encourage/advise
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Gary for bringing it to my attention.

@RL16  :welcum:

I wouldn't be too stressed about the warranty side of things. the fact that the issue reared its ugly head while under warranty  should mean you have a good case for any recurrence to be covered. Not a problem commonly reported on that model but hopefully we can have a bit of a brainstorm to help in some way.

Sounds like we need to hear who the dealer is...  :whistler:

I'm hearing too many of these stories lately of owners being fobbed off.  :fum:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :) This owner was literally fobbed off.

No joke for him. Im guessing that the as yet un-named dealer is either brain dead or has done a bodgie job, knowing the car has a transmission/ignition lock problem that will keep reoccurring.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline RL16

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi @nzenigma and @Dazzler

Sorry for the late response!

Still having issues, sometimes this will be fine for days on end, then will not start multiple times in a day.

Dealer seems very disinterested in providing any assistance, under that it is very hard being an intermittent problem. Also very hard to keep in contact with the dealer as it regularly takes 15-20 minutes for them to answer the phone.

Considering just getting the car towed next time it won’t start so I can show the dealer the problem!
  • 2013 i30 Premium

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

My dad (ex-mechanic) came home from work and had a fiddle. He was able to get the car started, by pressing the shift lock button and then pulling back on the gear which instantly started the engine (without pressing ignition button).

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Unlike your dealer, yes I have, on a number of times. Generally it is a misaligned or dirty lock switch below the transmission lever.( Your father seems to know about it)

All I can suggest is video the problem / home fix , then go and blow the Cript out of brain dead  dealer. Threaten to name him here.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the update. Sorry still no joy. Some dealers just don't get it. I think I have always had a lot of empathy. This makes you put yourself in the other person's shoes.

This dealer and some others should try doing that. It might make them try a bit harder. Even if they show some empathy it would generate goodwill in the long run. Keep at them. Yes, a video is the go.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal