i30 Owners Club

That time of year again ( Insurance )

John B · 21 · 3539

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I hate it when it comes to the boring task of renewing my car insurance. Why do we have to battle every year to get them to drop their quotes that seem overpriced ? why don't they just give you their best price. Did a search on the forum hoping to find some latest quotes that members may of obtained but they seem to date back a while. I have been doing some research and some are so over the top with their prices and others seem to be a lot lower and of course they all profess to be the best. Cant find one insurance company that has good reviews on product review. Youi had a few decent reviews and their quote for car insurance was half the cost of Suncorp but the quote from them for home and contents was three times more than Suncorp  :Shocked: Are well I have got until the middle of July to sort this mess out.  :crazy1: Rant over.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm quite happy with Shannons at $555 with full Glass coverage and choice of repairer, and they allowed me to set the agreed value higher at $18600 to help cover 7k worth of modifications :)

Youi and SGIO couldn't match agreed as both listed at $14000 maximum and were $48 a year more.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Youi came in cheap to get my business a couple of years ago then jacked it up big time on renewal.  Have you tried RACQ because RACT is excellent.  Unfortunately with all the hail claims and other disaster claims all insurance companies are jacking up their prices.  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I'm quite happy with Shannons at $555 with full Glass coverage and choice of repairer, and they allowed me to set the agreed value higher at $18600 to help cover 7k worth of modifications :)

Youi and SGIO couldn't match agreed as both listed at $14000 maximum and were $48 a year more.

Thanks Craig. Have you made any claims with them ?
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Youi came in cheap to get my business a couple of years ago then jacked it up big time on renewal.  Have you tried RACQ because RACT is excellent.  Unfortunately with all the hail claims and other disaster claims all insurance companies are jacking up their prices.  :Pout:

Thanks Dazz,  Tried RACQ and found their quote a bit expensive, mind yo that was last year might try them again. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Been with AAMI for ages now who are part of SUNCORP and others. I get the feeling they're rolling things back to be more profit focussed rather than customer and benefits focussed.

Moved 100m around the corner and they put the price up. WTF

Reluctant to change but Budget Direct may be taking quite a few AAMI customers,
Money magazine's Insurer of the Year 2018, 2017, 2015 & 2010 Winner

I am considering taking at least one car over to them to see how it goes.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks Craig. Have you made any claims with them ?
Yes, one claim a few months ago and they sorted it quickly over the phone, premiums weren't affected either with claim protection for life :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My daughter is with Budget Direct.
They seem to be attracting less complaints these days.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks guys all very helpful.  :goodjob2: So far I have got quotes from these companies  Commonwealth Bank $ 860. :eek:  RACQ   $ 664.   Youi  $382.71.  Suncorp with lifetime old for new $705. More to go.  Of course it does not make it easy that some include windscreen replacement others do not and one had excess on screen replacement and numerous other things. :undecided:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:43:52 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks guys all very helpful.  :goodjob2: So far I have got quotes from these companies  Commonwealth Bank $ 860. :eek:  RACQ   $ 664.   Youi  $382.71.  Suncorp with lifetime old for new $705. More to go.  Of course it does not make it easy that some include windscreen replacement others do not and one had excess on screen replacement and numerous other things. :undecided:
Honestly windscreens are so cheap these days unless you're a high K traveller with a fair chance of cracking a screen I personally don't think it's worth the extra.

How many have you replaced? When was the last time?

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Honestly windscreens are so cheap these days unless you're a high K traveller with a fair chance of cracking a screen I personally don't think it's worth the extra.

How many have you replaced? When was the last time?

Fair comment, although I did have a cracked screen 50 years ago. :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Glad to hear its not just us poms who have this annual merry go round with renewals.

I get an online quote with the company i'm with and it is usuall/always £££££ cheaper.
I then ring and ask them to beat it.
They always do even if just a few ££££.

Sent from my ATU-L11 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Jonesy_

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW Central West
With Youi,  $70 a month..
  • Currently a SV6 Ute looking at a PD i30 SR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
With Youi,  $70 a month..
Is that due to your age or driving history ? that's really expensive :eek:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Youi  $382.71.
That seems like a damn good deal John, though as Dazz mentioned they'll likely bump it right up the following year, amazes me how they can vary so much :confused:

Over 4 years mine has increased $2 to currently $46 a month :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 16:18:30 by CraigB »

Offline Jonesy_

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW Central West
Hmmm not sure.  Might have to have another suss. 30 years old,  no infringements.  However have made a claim in the last 2 years. 
  • Currently a SV6 Ute looking at a PD i30 SR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hmmm not sure.  Might have to have another suss. 30 years old,  no infringements.  However have made a claim in the last 2 years.
I suppose the previous claim wont help, I also just noticed the SV6 in your signature so that will definitely increase premiums unless you've already changed to an i30PD :undecided:

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I wouldn't say all windscreens are cheap. If you look at new cars, the angle of the screen leans further and further back for aerodynamics. Makes the windscreen huge, and therefore more expensive. Not only that, but vehicles with rain sensing tech have ridiculously priced screens. My brother manages the subbies at a transport company. One of his driver's got cut off by an Amarok, so when he caught up with him again, tossed a bag of oranges out the window and shattered the windscreen. That was between $800-900 to fix. I'm not having a go here either, nor am I condoning tossing stuff out windows. I also refer here  for a worst case example a bit closer to home.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I wouldn't say all windscreens are cheap. If you look at new cars, the angle of the screen leans further and further back for aerodynamics. Makes the windscreen huge, and therefore more expensive. Not only that, but vehicles with rain sensing tech have ridiculously priced screens. My brother manages the subbies at a transport company. One of his driver's got cut off by an Amarok, so when he caught up with him again, tossed a bag of oranges out the window and shattered the windscreen. That was between $800-900 to fix. I'm not having a go here either, nor am I condoning tossing stuff out windows. I also refer here  for a worst case example a bit closer to home.
Fair comment.

Sorry, my response was in the context of an average i30 and generically based on the average car.

It's a no brainer that if you have something exotic or out of the ordinary which is highly priced then it would be more of a consideration. It'd be interesting to see what they charge premium wise too in addition.

A FD front screen can be purchased for about $140, GD $195 PD $150 + fitting,  Non Genuine

I don't know about screens with builtin features you mention. I was not aware of those features but it would be worth getting an updated quote non genuine if available.

Reading that post sounds like a good example of getting the chip repaired ASAP before the screen cracks if possible.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 21:42:14 by tw2005 »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
For the last few years we have been with NRMA for cars and houses. Rates remain competitive. We were with Suncorp for decades until they not only jacked up their premiums, but insisted that we include landlord insurance .

My attitude is that their role is insurer of my bricks and mortar; not to become my business partner.

With vehicles, I'm with Gerard on the cheap windscreens and go further with having just 3rd Party Property insurance on all vehicles except the Bimmer. That allows me the discretion of how they will be repaired or sent to a local Afghan heaven.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Youi  $382.71.
That seems like a damn good deal John, though as Dazz mentioned they'll likely bump it right up the following year, amazes me how they can vary so much :confused:

Over 4 years mine has increased $2 to currently $46 a month :)

It sounded like a good deal until they told me that cost is if I have my home and contents with them as well. As mentioned before they quoted me $3000 for home & contents on the phone that mysteriously went up to $4000 when I received the quote on an email. Suncorps quote $1131.50. I  emailed them back and asked them to recheck that ridiculous figure and and have not heard back, strange for a very pushy company. 
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal