i30 Owners Club

Whats your flat tyre remedy

CraigB · 20 · 6234

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just looking for others opinions on what options they use in the case of a flat tyre, vehicle use and locality's will obviously decide what option many would go with but as my use is always freeway and good suburban roads I'm thinking whether it's worth lugging around a 22kg spare when not really a necessity nowdays :undecided:

I've always sworn buy having a full sized spare as backup but as I've personally never had a blowout and only the occasional flat from a tek screw when I was on sites doing refrigeration which I no longer do.

I'm pondering whether it's worth changing over to one of the other options like a tyre repair slime and air compressor kit, or possibly the pressure can repair like Fix A Flat :link: Fix-A-Flat Tyre Sealant - Eco Friendly, 680g - Supercheap Auto which will inflate and repair minor punctures, the new TPMs safe formulas don't destroy tyres like they used too either which has me leaning towards this option.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
My car came with a mini compressor kit, I promtly bought a get you home spare wheel.

I am old school  :scared: :scared: :scared: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Check with your local tyre guy as to whether or not the "modern stuff" is easy to remove from the tyre when repairing it.
And you MUST do that as any tyre which has deflated needs to be carefully inspected internally for damage which could result in a failure down the track.

Personally I can't see any reason for making the change if you already have a spare.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Check with your local tyre guy as to whether or not the "modern stuff" is easy to remove from the tyre when repairing it.
And you MUST do that as any tyre which has deflated needs to be carefully inspected internally for damage which could result in a failure down the track.

Personally I can't see any reason for making the change if you already have a spare.
I already checked with my tyre guy a few weeks ago when started thinking about the option, TPM safe formulas are fine to use and wash out with water.

Reason for change is not having to lug around the extra 22kg's, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest with my earlier vehicles though every little bit helps when you've got small cars, still tossing up at this stage.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Spookily enough I was discussing this very thing with my crash recovery guy on Saturday.

When he arrived to collect my car he'd just dropped off a Mitsubishi which had flattened out a few miles away. He said the owner had tried the injection pack supplied with the car but it hadn't had any effect. In fact the recovery guy absolutely demolished its usefulness as a temporary get-home solution and said it wasn't the first callout of this kind he'd had this week.

My missus's RAV4 also only came with a fluid pack and I dread getting a "gotta flat" call when she's out on the farm.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Spookily enough I was discussing this very thing with my crash recovery guy on Saturday.

When he arrived to collect my car he'd just dropped off a Mitsubishi which had flattened out a few miles away. He said the owner had tried the injection pack supplied with the car but it hadn't had any effect. In fact the recovery guy absolutely demolished its usefulness as a temporary get-home solution and said it wasn't the first callout of this kind he'd had this week.

My missus's RAV4 also only came with a fluid pack and I dread getting a "gotta flat" call when she's out on the farm.
Thanks Steve :goodjob:
That was one of concerns and had read reviews of some of the cheaper brands from supercheap that had the same issue, not read any bad reviews on the Fix A Flat brand as of yet but I'm still hunting.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm missing something here.
Why are you considering this?
Surely you aren't trying to improve your fuel consumption? Or are you?

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm missing something here.
Why are you considering this?
Surely you aren't trying to improve your fuel consumption? Or are you?
More for performance, if only a little :)  fuel economy would only amount to about $40 over an average of 15k

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I would keep the tire, not worth the weight saving if you risk to end up with a flat in -20c, 50km from the nearest tire shop and a 2h wait for roadside assistance. Then most of my driving is out in the boonies and just commuting.

Always lugged a spare around, usually a spacesaver one. Roads are all 70-80kph around here anyway.

En god karl reder sig själv. A good man sorts himself.

I have half an stores worth of common spares, from lights to fuses, better tools, a tow line and a brunch of stripes, straps ducttape. Also a shovel 8 months a year.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I would keep the tire, not worth the weight saving if you risk to end up with a flat in -20c, 50km from the nearest tire shop and a 2h wait for roadside assistance. Then most of my driving is out in the boonies and just commuting.

Always lugged a spare around, usually a spacesaver one. Roads are all 70-80kph around here anyway.

En god karl reder sig själv. A good man sorts himself.

I have half an stores worth of common spares, from lights to fuses, better tools, a tow line and a brunch of stripes, straps ducttape. Also a shovel 8 months a year.
In your locality I probably wouldn't be thinking about it either xiziz, everything is very close at hand here with pristine roads, we don't get snow and if it's below 20c here I'm cold :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Craig, I'm with Trevor on this one. I'm not convinced you would save even $40 in 15,000 kilometres and the effect or affect on performance would be indistinguishable IMHO!  :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Few years ago my colleague had 2 flats during one winter. Ice had made some potholes to the road. On both times the rim got also broken. No help from foams and compressors. Luckily he had a space saver.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Can always try the boy scout way and stuff with hay...

Sent from my ATU-L11 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Do you have breakdown cover?

If so aren't you covered for tow.

Also, sods law, as soon as you remove the spare  you'll get a flat......

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Do you have breakdown cover?

If so aren't you covered for tow.

I have breakdown cover through Hyundai iCare but I’ve never used them so can’t comment on their efficiency, have a few friends with car trailers also but only ever required help once 10 years ago when I threw a rod.

Sod’s law...yeah it’s usually what happens  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good point Lester.  Often happens in situations like this! :crazy1:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Suppose its a matter of  where you are and what you're planning -as we found out.

We killed a ($300) tyre at 60km/h on the dirt on our trip. Took the sidewall out of it.
Must have been the ONLY rock under the soft top layer. We'd been sitting at 80-90 km/h before, no worries. Changed,then another 25km of dirt to the tar and another 110 km to the nearest  (only) tyre shop on a Friday arvo.
Sat at 140km/h to get there , fixed , then 100km back to our digs before 5:30pm -Kanga time.
Never had one to match, 235/55r19 , our spare is now black, round, holds air and very bald /35r19.
Both shoulders killed me that night and next day.
Lesson learnt, bought 5 17x6.5 ix35 alloys and LT225/70r17 Bridgestone AT's going on this week. 
They are our hiking boots for trips away, original ballet flats for town only. 
One the AT's will stay as the spare full-time.   

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A bit more feedback on the effects of weight savings versus fuel economy. We did about 2000 kilometres on winding hilly roads with two extra largish people in the car (visitors from the mainland) Probably combined extra weight of 200 kilos. For about 1000 of those kilometres we had baggage and food for 4 people to do 4 days away (lets say another 100 kilos)

My fuel use went up by .1 litres per hundred kilometres according to my trip computer. From 7.3 to 7.4 L/100 kms. So the weight of a spare wheel would make bu**er all difference. Just sayin'  :whistler: :winker: :D

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I hardly see a difference in FE at increased weight att all with the diesel. 3 big passengers(at least 400kg combined) plus baby and the boot packed to the roof with gear.
I only carted them around locally, up and down the hills, but racked up some 2000km over three weeks never less.
I see a bigger economy drop with tire pressure or air temp than weight.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I hardly see a difference in FE at increased weight att all with the diesel. 3 big passengers(at least 400kg combined) plus baby and the boot packed to the roof with gear.
I only carted them around locally, up and down the hills, but racked up some 2000km over three weeks never less.
I see a bigger economy drop with tire pressure or air temp than weight.

That's interesting. I guess the strong torque curve of the Diesel and my Petrol Turbo helps. She was hardly affected up the hills.  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal