i30 Owners Club

Android Auto - No radio, quiet apps, no guidance

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
It's been a while since I posted to this forum.  My i30 GD4 diesel is great, but it has one major annoyance: Android Auto.

There are five major problems: 

- If I receive a call from someone (phone connected via bluetooth, not USB) the radio does not work anymore after that.  I can change the volume level to full, turn radio off and on, no go, and the only way to get the radio working again is the restart the car.

- If I receive a call (bluetooth and USB connection) I sometimes can't hear the other person at all

- When driving with GPS guidance on Google Maps the voice guidance only sometimes works, the radio is muted, and any apps I try to use for radio are extremely quiet.  I have to set the GUIDANCE volume to maximum (30) to barely hear the radio app.

- Previously the AA system would read SMSes to me as they were received, but now they're silent too

- The phone's USB connection will randomly disconnect despite trying several USB cables

Phone: I had a Samsung Galaxy S5 which had all the above problems.  I assumed it may have been an old phone problem, so recently got a Galaxy S7 (yeah, still an old phone) but I assume I don't need an S9 to resolve the above issues.

On the S5 I tried a volume app where you could set various volume levels but nothing worked.  It doesn't explain why the radio doesn't work (totally silent) after receiving a call too.

I do apologize if these problems have been resolved before, but using this forum's search feature yielded no solutions.

My Android Auto version:

Model: GD-03
SW Ver: 2.04.02
Micom: 3.11.09
Platform: 1.76.00
  • i30 GD4 Active 1.6 CDRi 7 speed DCT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I am having quite a few issues with Android Auto in my 2017 PD SR using a Samsung S8.

At one stage it was working great, but after a couple of Android Auto updates it is very haphazard now.

Different issues to you though. Things like somtimes I have to say Ok google a couple of times before it will get into the right mode to take instructions.  That is after trying to initiate a response with the voice recognition button 1st.

I am blaming Android Auto more than the car or the phone. Nothing much has changed with them.

I haven't tried reinstalling AA yet.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
At my next service I'll bring this issue up, see if there's a software update available.  I'd *really* love it if Hyundai provided updates on its web site, as the update process is as super complex as putting the download on a USB stick and running it on the car.

Now that the AA problems occur with a second phone I think it shows it's not the phone, but the car that's at fault.

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
The car received an update to Android Auto at its regularly scheduled servicing.  Fixed all the problems I was experiencing.  So if your AA system is behaving strangely and not working right, go to a dealer for a software update.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The car received an update to Android Auto at its regularly scheduled servicing.  Fixed all the problems I was experiencing.  So if your AA system is behaving strangely and not working right, go to a dealer for a software update.

Cheers. I have a service coming up so I'll ask.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal