i30 Owners Club

New daily drive PD2 I30 active

galixia · 24 · 6160

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Just got the brand new car. I needed something cheap with a warranty as I do about 20000kms a year into the city and back home again daily. So I went around and got this one for a bargain with 3 years free servicing included as well which is great.

So far I have removed the I30 Badge on the back. Tinted it with darkest legal tint and also change the interior bulbs with LED ones. Also did the number plate bulbs while at it.

I'll plasti dip the Hyundai "H" badges too when i get around to it. Also I want to replace the speakers and maybe put some sound deadening in at the same time the door trims are apart, because too much road noise for my liking.

I'm also trying to decide if i should do the headlight bulbs too just to give it that clean white light look at the front instead of white DRL's and then the yellow headlights.

I know its not a performance machine. I looked at the SR/N-Line but they require a lot more frequent servicing and the idea was to keep costs down. so the mods are to get the car how i like the look of it and also be more comfortable.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:47:18 by galixia »
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wlcome02: Sounds great except for the bit about trying to disguise the Hyundai badge and hide the fact it's an i30 ..  :whistler: The stigma has gone now :winker:
I know you might just ge a dis-badger, if there is such a word.

You may have already seen the thread about headlight globe options?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Hey mate, It's not about hiding the fact that its a Hyundai. I wouldn't have brought it if i didn't want a Hyundai. I just like the nice neat clean look. Even if it was a white I30 I would still make the badges black because I like the look :)

I have had a look at the headlight thread. There is a great wealth of knowledge on here which is awesome

below is the original bulb and the LED i replaced it with

• 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers. Glad you took my "tongue in cheek" comment in the right spirit.

The base 2.0 petrol still drives well doesn't it. Next time I go to WA I'm going to rent one instead of the new model Corolla which was actually a disappointment.

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Lifes too short to take things too seriously :)

I looked at the corolla but it wasn't nice to drive and i dont like CVT's so that just sealed the deal to not even think about it. Also I have kids so rear leg room and boot space are important and the corolla was more cramped in the back and also the boot was almost half the size. i think the corolla was like 217lt and the I30 is like 395lt.

• 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Lifes too short to take things too seriously :)

I looked at the corolla but it wasn't nice to drive and i dont like CVT's so that just sealed the deal to not even think about it. Also I have kids so rear leg room and boot space are important and the corolla was more cramped in the back and also the boot was almost half the size. i think the corolla was like 217lt and the I30 is like 395lt.

Yes, I quite like the styling of the new Corolla but that boot is crazy small and not as good a drive as some reviews suggest.  :victory:

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
Hi @galixia,

Did the badges have any location holes/pin holes in the boot lid? I am also thinking of doing the same.

Cheers
Adz.
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Did the badges have any location holes/pin holes in the boot lid? I am also thinking of doing the same.

Cheers
Adz.
The side badges are just stick on's which are easily removed with some heat, a hair dryer will do :)

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I just waited until a really hot day with the car sitting in the sun all day and in the afternoon pulled them off with my fingers and they came off easy. no holes or anything just double sided tape. Just be careful because if the edge of the badge presses against the paint as you leveraging it off you can mark/scratch your paint. so if you can take them off as flat as possible if that makes sense.
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Update time!! I have fitted the Dash cam and wired it through and all the cables neatly hidden away. I was a bit lazy and didn't add a power for it instead just brought the cable back around to the center and plugging it in the tray. I'll get around to adding it's own power at a later point so the ports free in the middle.

Still waiting for Plasti Dip to go on special so i can do the badges too. Autobarn had them listed for $9.99 went in and they said the special didn't include black which sucked.

My order from Powerbulbs arrived with my Phillips Diamond Vision bulbs, so swapped them out. Much better vision on the road and it also looks much better not having the yellow tinge bulbs. The photos don't do it justice of how much better it is.

• 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well done. Better globes are definitely worth doing. Just be aware the bright globes generally have a shorter life span.  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think the Diamond Vision are a Plus 30 same as the White Vision so life span is still reasonable at 200/400 hours, once you get into the Plus 100 and 130 then that life span reduces down considerably. 

Diamond Vision are 5000k at 935Lm, reduced Lm due to blue coloured bulb.

White Vision are 3700k at 1095Lm.

The new Narva Sapphire Plus 50 bulbs I’m using now are 5000k at 1150Lm, the new filament technology allows a whiter 5000k light without the complete bulb being blue coated which in turn makes them brighter.

Supposed to be 500+ hours lifetime from what Auto One has told me.

:link: Narva | H7 12V 55W SAPPHIRE PLUS 50 HALOGEN HEADLIGHT GLOBES (BL2)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 16:06:26 by CraigB »

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Yes that's right from what I read. I don't understand a lot of it. I was looking at the night breakers but everywhere said they don't last that long and I don't really want to be replacing bulbs every year. But I start work around 6am so the drive to work every morning is in the dark.

Looking at it now I probably should have gone the white vision bulbs because they are a higher Lm. But I will know for next time. I hadn't heard of the Narva Sapphire Plus bulbs either. After a quick google search I couldn't find anywhere that lists them for sale either. But I know Narva is a good brand so I'll keep an eye out next time too.
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
So I'm heading down to Melbourne for a work trip for a few weeks at the end of June and thought I should get a lightbar installed to offer a bit more light because I usually drive through the night when there is less traffic.

Was pretty straight forward didn't have to cut or drill anything. Hardest part was getting the switch into the cabin. The lightbar sits nicely behind the front grill stealth like still providing me that nice clean front look but letting lots of light out the grill.

Also my 3yr old likes pressing horns. He used mine and made a comment on how quiet it is and how much better mummies was. So while i had the front bumper off i looked at the horn plug and its a custom Hyundai plug. So I've ordered an adaptor cable from ebay for the Hyundai horn plug to standard horn plug used in most vehicles and when that comes I'll install a better horn. The other choice was to cut the plug and crimp spade connectors on which are the standard horn connectors in every other car I've come across.

I did a write up on the lightbar install in another thread of anyone wants more details.

The front in the day. Unless your looking for it you can't see the lightbar.

• 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! that's bright!  Awesome! :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
So today marks 6 months since i got my brand new I30. I'm at 12000kms have done a return trip Brissy to Melb and some up the coast and its going good still. The feature that this car doesn't have that I've missed most is a window auto up as i have to put the window down often to get to work and show ID. Other than that can't really complain.

Since last post I've replaced the lightbar with a bigger one that's more directional only out the front instead of flooding light. Also I've fitted a new horn. I got an adaptor cable and used the existing horn mount etc so nothing got cut and can be put back to factory if needed.  I sat the old light bar on the bottom for the picture just for comparison.

• 2018 I30 Active

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Sweet,  light bar specs or place of purchase please.    :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The feature that this car doesn't have that I've missed most is a window auto up as i have to put the window down often to get to work and show ID.
That's me, many times every day. :blubber:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
The feature that this car doesn't have that I've missed most is a window auto up as i have to put the window down often to get to work and show ID.

I didn't even realise the windows didn't auto up until the first day driving to work. Such a simple thing and makes such a difference.

The light bar i got is the one below. But i brought from their ebay store because at the time eBay had 20% off. It puts out a decent amount of light even for being behind the grill. Took about 3 days to get to me after i ordered and paid for it.
:link: LIGHTFOX 20inch Led Light Bar 1 Lux @ 780M IP68 96000 Lumens | Sunyee

Not the best photo.

• 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

3rd world problems...  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

ns
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

First world problems.
Third world are busy looking for food & water.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
So just had my 15000km service yesterday. Got to the dealer and the lady was like your not down for a service today. So I showed her the confirmation email from a month ago and also the automated SMS they sent me the day before to remind me my car was due in and she was like ohh thats weird your the second one today. so was a great start.

I reported a sound coming from the steering column which turned out to be noisy and dry internal bearings and the whole steering column needs replacing. Lucky the cars only several months old so covered by warranty.

Then when it came time to pay apparently the sales guy didn't note in the system when I brought the car from them that I have free servicing so spent the next 30 mins trying to prove it was written in the contract because they don't scan and keep digital copies of the contracts they just transcribe the information apparently and store the original somewhere else. In the end they said they will list it as free for now and get back to me.

So all in all a fun day at Hyundai servicing and I get to go back for more soon :)
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! Very ordinary! Hope you still have your copy of  the contract. After that effort they should be giving you a fuel voucher or something as well!

If they send you a how did we do message asking for a score out of 10 mark them down (you might get some compensation)

Combining all those negatives it really was a pretty poor effort!  :crazy1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal