i30 Owners Club

2010 FD 4spd Auto - Checking ATF impossible?

Guest · 3 · 1129

swedishnutlathe
Hello all - I have never in my life owned a car with such a difficult-to-figure-out transmission dipstick.
It's a 2010 (FD) 1.6 diesel 4spd auto.
Are there any tips to getting a proper reading? Even Hyundai GDS isn't very clear. Sometimes I drive miles and it reads way overfull, then other times it reads in between hot low and hot full, sometimes it just appears on the one side of the dipstick... it's a nightmare.
Any clues for the "proper" way of reading the level?!

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
Good question, i know i somehow mananged to overfill mine when i changed it as well and had to drain some out again a few weeks later when i checked it. I thought maybe it takes a while or certain driving style to warm it up to the correct temps for measurement. That reminds me i should probably check it again...
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

swedishnutlathe
Well I don't know if I've overfilled, underfilled, sidewaysfilled.... it's so difficult.

For example, 2 weeks ago I drove a distance of 28 miles, mixture of stop-start driving, lots of gear changing. Did as Hyundai GDS instructs and ran the transmission through each gear, held it for a few seconds, then placed in neutral with engine running, and checked - bit bubbly but appeared in between hot low and hot full. Okay, good enough, will top up a bit when I have ATF. (Which I didn't at the time.)

Last week, drove a distance of 90 miles, all motorway with very little gear changing. Again ran through gears, held, in neutral etc, and checked - looked massively overfull this time, well above the "hot full" on the dipstick but only on on side of the dipstick

Dipstick in and out umpteen times, still only on one side. Gave up and drove home. Annoyingly I can't check it at home because I live on a fairly steep hill where I park so need to check when i'm out and about on a level surface.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal