i30 Owners Club

Is a Turbo Timer worth it?

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
www.modyourcar.com.au/apexi-auto-timer-p448

What do people think?

I normally let the engine idle for a minute once I'm parked just to keep the turbo as happy Larry.

It would be nice to be able to use this instead.

I'm not to sure about this handbrake anti theft thing though, sounds good, but will it work? How doe it know the hand brake has been released and whether the key is in the ignition?

Cheers

Daniel

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ghurka17 was chatting about this just before Xmas. See https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1952.0.html

Not sure it got discussed too deeply tho
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Medic01

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Northern Territory
unless your seriously modified or drive on the boost all the time then no the factory cooling should do the trick.

basically if it needed one, it would have one.

but, up the boost and power, then yes it wouldn't hurt as they can be gotten for as little as $50

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
unless your seriously modified or drive on the boost all the time then no the factory cooling should do the trick.

basically if it needed one, it would have one.

but, up the boost and power, then yes it wouldn't hurt as they can be gotten for as little as $50

Medic the CRDi runs up to 20psi of boost i have checked that, and i am the turbo timmer i never turn my motor straight off. my friend that has 360,000k up on a common rail diesel turbo does the same and his turbo is original never worked on. reason i like to do it this way is to allow oil to cool a bit before turning off so i have freash oil on the turbine bearing for when i restart. if you want to test effect, just pore some of your spare engine oil onto a bar b hot plate while its hot see what the oil does.

Offline Medic01

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Northern Territory
well you would think that they would be a factory addition then ?

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Well this is what concerns me with this stop and go technology appearing on the i30 Blue and the Mini.

What stops someone from fanging along in the car, pull up at the traffic lights and shut down the engine?

One seized turbo coming right up!

This stop and go stuff better have some fail safes in it, otherwise there could be alot of trouble.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Daniel, i also know people that drive there common rail turbo diesels hard, and they will not warm them up b4 driving off, they also just turn motor straight off. when i tell them my thoughts they laugh, one guy i know has 80,000k up touch wood?
i do the, what i think is the right thing for long term reliability, if you understand what i mean. the people that don't care are the ones that cry the loudest when they break. i don't mind letting motor idle a while b4 turning off. but could give me a larger carbon foot print?
cheers

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I posted about a device called a turb saviour on a previous thread.  I'm sure Hyundai could easily engineer one into the turbo lubrication supply line if needed.  Basically its a hydraulic accumulator with an orifice.  When you start the engine, a small amount of the oil supply is stored in a spring loaded chamber.  When you turn off the engine, the spring slowly pushes the oil thru the turbo until the resevoir is empty.  Repeat each time the engine is started / stopped.

An example for heavy equipment is at http://www.engineprotectionequipment.com.au/public/catalogue/product_info.php?id=109

I'm sure Hyundai could build it into the car a lot more elegantly - and adjust the spring rate, orifice and chamber size to match the engine and turbo perfectly.  If the orifice is too big and the resevoir too large, it starves the turbo of oil at startup.

Offline MyChemR

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

I had turbo timer on 1.8 T engine.. no tuning. It's good to have it even on a stock car, why not.. It's not that expensive :rolleyes: I recommend it :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal