i30 Owners Club

Opinions on HUD (Head Up Display)

Bighvm · 10 · 4693

Offline Bighvm

• 2nd Gear
Thinking also about a hud display, but in two minds as i feel it may look tacky?

Rather like the idea of the display showing a simple speed gauge so looking at the a100s, because it has a shroud and is not a cluttered coloured display... would love know people's thoughts on this before i go ahead please?

:link: Car Display A100 3.5" HUD Car Head Up Display Speed Voltage Alarm Projector S0V1 | eBay
  • I30 auto diesel to buy in near future!

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
Not bad!
I might be interested as well.
How does it connect to vehicle’s electrical system?
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Nice, but I get more fun driving (see what I did there?) at the cheapest possible reversible solution, which may include a superseded phone or GPS unit reprogrammed to display speed in reverse off its own GPS feed. Either choice would then be powered by one of my favourite $1 USB supplies. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Not bad!
I might be interested as well.
How does it connect to vehicle’s electrical system?
This one suggests it may come from the included OBDII connector. Does OBDII provide a 12V feed?

:link: Car Speedometer HUD Head Up Display A1000 Speedometer Over-speed Voltage Alarm | eBay
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have a similar unit - but it is GPS (and more expensive) and shows the actual speed of the car - car speedometers always read fast.  OBD connected HUD's duplicate the (inaccurate) speedo reading

:link: iNeibo Universal GPS HUD Head Up Display KMH MPH Speedometer with 2 Modes (HUD/Standard) & 2 Level Speed Alarm for all Cars Vehicle Truck -Quick and Easy

Another reason for not wanting an OBD connected model is because the OBD port in my car is part of a fuseboard behind the dash by my right knee. I would have to leave the cover off if a Bluetooth dongle or a cable had to be plugged in all the time.

You need to place a small rectangle of reflective but almost transparent film where the image appears on the screen. You can use just the screen but the image is not then clear in bright light and you get a double image from each side of the glass.

I have my speed indicator placed so that the image is at eye level - but to the edge of the windscreen. I found it too distracting if straight ahead at eye level where most adverts illustrate it.

My unit has a cable that plugs into the cars power socket - or hard wired to an ignition source if you are so minded.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:57:36 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline LargePig

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Basingstoke, Hampshire
Interestingly, my car's OBD speed matches my GPS speed.

Only the dial reads high. So the dial must be calibrated high.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4lt, Manual, Black

Offline LargePig

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Basingstoke, Hampshire
Also, if you're talking about the fuse cover on the i30 being in the way, you can detach the ODB connector from its housing and cable tie it to another area in there, it's just cliped in place. Keeps it out of the way of the cover.

I've actually fitted a switched OBD2 cable in there and poked the switch through the little hole in the cover. It's perfect.

Offline Bighvm

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for info, the reason i never thought of a gps unit is because my dashcam has gps inbuilt and it can flash up alerts for overspeed etc, but i dont use that... too much noise!
  • I30 auto diesel to buy in near future!

Offline LargePig

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Basingstoke, Hampshire
Just following up my reply with a pic of my OBD switch. If anyone is interested :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal