i30 Owners Club

2011 i30 audio system doing weird things. More info within

Offline Aceyoung

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hello,
Regarding 2011 i30.
I usually listen to music from Spotify by connecting my iPhone through the USB, but it quite often glitches and suddenly changes to the radio, or the system turns off, or the volume turns up to 100, or the song starts skipping. It is usually triggered by driving over a bump and it seems to be happening more and more frequently.
Does anyone know what this problem could be and what is the cheapest way to fix it?
Thank you
  • i30 2011

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I cant offer much help but the common questions off the top of my head would be..Does the radio glitch when no usb is plugged in? if not are you using genuine Apple usb cable?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome!

Haven't heard of that before but if it's triggered by a bump I'd suspect a bad connection or loose wire or something.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Does the car have steering  wheel controls for audio?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I would try a different cable with the same iPhone. if it still does it then swapping out your iPhone for something else and seeing if it still happens. If after you have tried swapping the cable and device and the same thing is still happening then it would probably be a connection somewhere else. Like the USB port that your plugging into in the dash or the connector on the back of the head unit or even possibly something internal. But the quickest and easiest things to try are swapping the cable and then the iPhone and see if it still happens.
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline Aceyoung

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thank you everyone. Yes I am using a genuine Apple cable. It happens to my boyfriends phone too (iPhone, using the same cable). When it happens I eventually pull my phone out but the radio still keeps turning itself on.
No there are no steering wheel controls for the audio in this model.
I guessed it might be a loose wire or something, but I don’t even know where to take it to get fixed. I told Hyundai when I last took it for a service but they said they “couldn’t replicate the problem” so nothing was done.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:05:36 by Aceyoung »
  • i30 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

took it for a service but they said they “couldn’t replicate the problem” so nothing was done.

and people wonder why we get frustrated with service centres. Unfortunately, intermittent issues can get expensive to diagnose.

Ask around friends and family for a good auto electrician who doesn't charge the earth.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
took it for a service but they said they “couldn’t replicate the problem” so nothing was done.

and people wonder why we get frustrated with service centres. Unfortunately, intermittent issues can get expensive to diagnose.

Ask around friends and family for a good auto electrician who doesn't charge the earth.
Couldn't help yourself,  just had to use that pun  :disapp:   :rofl: :rofl: :winker:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

How on earth did I do that!  :crazy1: :mrgreen:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I was immediately thinking along with @tw2005 about the clock spring playing up for those with steering wheel controls. Without the controls, I'd still be thinking dry joints around the knobs and buttons on the radio as a starting point.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal