i30 Owners Club

ATF SP-IV Fluid transmission fluid

Offline Clownman

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      SA
G'day, new to the forum and apologies re if this issue has been covered. Just had 48 month, approx' 52,000 km service of our 2015 i30 SE AUTO HATCH. Not sure whether there is a service schedule to replace the ATF SP-IV  transmission fluid? Secondly, if we are to keep the vehicle, I'd like to replace the ATF SP-IV transmission fluid as a precautionary measure. Obviously, the genuine fluid is very expensive. Are people using an alternative or are they sticking with the genuine? Also, any "lurks" here in Australia in getting hold of the genuine fluid at a reasonable price?
Any input would be most appreciated!
Regards Clownman.
  • 2015 I30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
G'day, new to the forum and apologies re if this issue has been covered. Just had 48 month, approx' 52,000 km service of our 2015 i30 SE AUTO HATCH. Not sure whether there is a service schedule to replace the ATF SP-IV  transmission fluid? Secondly, if we are to keep the vehicle, I'd like to replace the ATF SP-IV transmission fluid as a precautionary measure. Obviously, the genuine fluid is very expensive. Are people using an alternative or are they sticking with the genuine? Also, any "lurks" here in Australia in getting hold of the genuine fluid at a reasonable price?
Any input would be most appreciated!
Regards Clownman.
there's likely plenty of info out on the web, I know I tried to solve this one myself for my i40. Originally I made the false presumption this was also going to be a Mitsubishi spec fluid as well like ATF SPIII used in the FD 4 speeds. That was always the cheapest and easiest for OEM fluid for that, but SPIV was not in any MITS vehicles.

Generally speaking my Ipswich Hyundai Dealer was of little help or not exactly interested in helping me access the fluid. I don't think they sell or stock it in retail quantities and I also think it may have been an AC Delco product they keep in 205L drums.

have you managed to find a Dealer that carries and sells the SPIV?

I use Penrite ATF FS LV for SPIV, and ATF FS for my older SPIII boxes. Full synthetic and had no issues so far. Done 10000K on the FS LV.

There's no dipstick on the 6 speeds so filling and level checking is not conventional. From what I understand the fluid needs to be in a certain temp range (scantool needed to be accurate) engine running, level ground, and then the level plug on the front of the valve body cover is removed and depending on whether fluid pours out, none comes out or trickles will be the indicators of too high, low or about right.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Doing the Google thing

Hyundai Automatic Transmission Oil ATF SP-IV 1L 04500-00115

Then we have KIA (maybe that's an option here) Genuine Kia Fluid UM090-CH042 Type 4 SP-IV,  1 Quart

· HYUNDAI / KIA 00232-19045
· HYUNDAI / KIA 04500-00115
· HYUNDAI / KIA UM090-CH042

Appear to be only 1 L bottles

On sale I think it cost me $70-80 for the penrite,  8L

Finding data on this stuff it's hard to know what the SP4 specs really are.

Valvoline MAXLIFE I found a little disclaimer

Castrol Transmax FE Multivehicle

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal