i30 Owners Club

Cigarette lighter?

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
Hi all, my 2009 i30 has a dedicated 12v socket and a dedicated cigarette lighter next to it. Does anyone know if the cigarette lighter can safely be used as another 12v charger port?

Thanks

• 2009 i30 estate, premium.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, I do all the time. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :whsaid:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I've even piggybacked off the back of them to create a dedicated 3A USB socket between the two 12V sockets and another to power a Qi wireless charging pad in the bottom of that tray.

:link: 1/2/5/10PCS 9V 12V 24V to 5V 3A Buck Step Down Converter CAR USB Charger Module | eBay

:link: Qi Wireless Charger Slim Fast Charging Pad For iPhone X 8 Plus Samsung Galaxy S9 | eBay

Offline Craig 84

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      County Durham
Cool, thank you. I was looking at getting a wireless charger holder but wanted to keep the Bluetooth /fm music adapter that I use all the time. I'm not much of a sparky, can't I just plug the wireless charger into the cigarette socket as it'll be a car specific one anyway.

Thanks again

• 2009 i30 estate, premium.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I've even piggybacked off the back of them to create a dedicated 3A USB socket between the two 12V sockets and another to power a Qi wireless charging pad in the bottom of that tray.

:link: 1/2/5/10PCS 9V 12V 24V to 5V 3A Buck Step Down Converter CAR USB Charger Module | eBay

:link: Qi Wireless Charger Slim Fast Charging Pad For iPhone X 8 Plus Samsung Galaxy S9 | eBay

Show off !   :lol: :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Can't I just plug the wireless charger into the cigarette socket as it'll be a car specific one anyway.
Sure you can, but if you're anything like me you'll come to hate the sight of cables.
My charger is wired into the back of those cigarette lighters using one of those USB power modules and then embedded into a thin slice of packing foam and covered by a fine black spectacle cleaning cloth. Nobody can tell it's a charging 'tray'.
The only sparkiness required is connecting 2 thin wires for 12V and ground. :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal