i30 Owners Club

Lighting changes

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Having had a run of blown globes,seems not to be a problem for donkeys ages then all of a sudden,boom,half a dozen globes between the two cars in a few weeks,plus I have had an issue with my converted Rallye 4000 spotties on Cyril.

So I have ordered some different styles of H7 globes,all with differing specs,so give each of them a try when they come,the spotties are the biggest annoyance,the conversion HID kit I converted them with,the ballast shat itself on one of them,so having a spare kit I changed the ballast and the globes,now I have a huge black spot where the spot is meant to be,I now have what appears to be a HUGE halo of light,plenty of light to the sides of the road and only enough to go forward the distance the headlights go,I am wondering if the globes are not the correct ones,so I have ordered some replacement H1 HID globes,but I have also caved in an ordered a Light bar :link: 17inch 108W Cree LED Spot Flood Driving Offroad 4WD Work Light BAR 36W 126W 180W | eBay so I am going to give this a try as well,even though I have driven behind them before and found although they do give you great light,both forward and to the side they DO NOT throw as far as a pencil beam HID,maybe when I get it,I'll work out how to use it in combination with my existing HID'S,if it is not suitable for my needs.Only went for a 17" bar,as  it can be blended in with the custom alloy bar I had made.

• 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sounds like the replacement HID is not at the focal point of the spottie. Are the external dimensions of the bulb exactly the same, especially the arc point  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Sounds like the replacement HID is not at the focal point of the spottie. Are the external dimensions of the bulb exactly the same, especially the arc point  :question:

Problem Is Phil I have thrown the old globes away so I can not check,I'm assuming,because this kit was in a different set of spotties the globes may be actually H3 so the focal point will actually be in the wrong position,there is a big difference between the focal points f the two different globes
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Oh dear  :fum:

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Strange I'm on my 3rd set of H7s this year with no mods, the other 2 sets went in pairs leaving me literally in the dark having to drive home with fogs on. They were just stock Bosch/Halfords bulbs. Held back fitting another set during the summer months (dark at 10pm in Northern England). Local garage checked battery voltage etc during service this week before fitting another pair, nothing untoward showed up. Waiting to see what happens with these latest bulbs...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
With our little cig lighter voltmeter, I commonly see 14.7 volts without headlamps on in the daytime. That's quite over voltage for a 12v lamp bulb. :(

Still tossing the idea of a "soft on" option to be fitted. :idea:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not good, I'd be investigating the earthing mod... There was a TSB number posted by Lorian recently I'll try and find the link... :goodjob:

In this thread..

:link: Headlamp wiring recall
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
With our little cig lighter voltmeter, I commonly see 14.7 volts without headlamps on in the daytime. That's quite over voltage for a 12v lamp bulb. :(

I should check mine too, I blew two park light bulbs one day without warning or anything. Perhaps the voltage regulator is a bit off-spec? I'll try and measure my 12V circuit today and see what mine says

EDIT: I got the following voltages from the dome light contacts-

12.4V with car off, key out of ignition, dome light on
4.8V with car off, key out of ignition and dome light set to Door mode with door closed
13.8 ~ 14V with car idling and dome light on
14.2V at most when car is revved to 2K rpm, dome light on.

All of these I performed with the headlights off

@Phil, maybe you have a suspect voltage regulator?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 16:35:33 by wabbit16 »
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
A total of five and a quarter years of i30 ownership and I still haven't had a single blow.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Too bad  :(

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Same here, mate. Congratulations (or commiserations) to both of us. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

No, it's a good thing.   :D
Isn't it?   :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Slightly off topic, but my previous Honda lasted 17 years without needing a single bulb replacement - a testament to old tech
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

You're good at fixing things tonight, Rick.   ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
You're good at fixing things tonight, Rick.   ;)
Yes been a real good day today,fixed a few things here and got time to spend a lot of time with my dog's  :DoubleKiss:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Car bulbs/electrics are designed to operate at 14.7 volts 'cos it's what the alternator produces....... :rolleyes:

I really must open up the headlight mod fitted by my dealer and see what is inside the tube.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'll see if I can verify that. It does seem logical, but I remember years ago with my Holden the regulator cut out for the alternator was only 13.5 V, so that is a fair increase.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal