i30 Owners Club

LED low beams

kroner · 4 · 1436

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
so one of my low beams went dead, and i looked in ebay, and there appears to be tons of LED options these days.
On a previous car, I retrofitted HIDs, and found glare issues, do LEDs have the same problem?
I noticed they're pointing at a 90 degree angle rather than straight, so I guess they're making better use of the reflector.
but there is not much clearance behind the lights for the LED heatsinks though

anyone tried them?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:49:55 by kroner »
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, kroner. I looked at doing that a while ago and was also concerned about the space available. What I did do was replace the amber globes with DRL / blinker combos, and that took a bit of creativity as well.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
hey Gonz.
you mean you yutn the DRL into indicators, and use the H7s as DRLs/Low Beams?
There's a ton of options on ebay, some come up compatible for the 2009 model (but they're quite pricey) the others may/may not be compatible, and look better/cheaper, so i just gotta try and asn the sellers to see if they're compatible (but most of them are just importers of everything, so unlikely they know)

PS: do you know if the FD has this canbus error, i keep seeing on the listing? (not sure what that is)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:00:41 by kroner »
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I swapped out the simple amber incandescent globes for LED blinker / DRL ‘switchback’ combos. I didn’t mess with high or low beams other than to tap the parker pin for DRL awareness. I would have done high and low beams if not for the same concern you’re having over space. I don’t believe the FD suffers any CANbus dramas but the old-school blinker relay is load sensitive, which means the turn signal will race as if a globe has blown if the amber LEDs aren’t current shunted by a beefy 5W 6R resistor, which is why I have an electronic flasher unit on eBay order. Then I can cut away the load resistors.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal