i30 Owners Club

2015 i30 1.6 diesel, manual. Auto engine-off function

Offline Pete Wright

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK, Leek, Staffordshire
Dears, I am new to this forum, and quite old so please forgive my amateur start.
I bought the above car as an "unrecorded write-off" in 2015. It had amazingly little damage, so was soon on the road. A problem that has always been with the car is that the automatic engine cut-off does not function. When the car comes to a halt, the engine remains running and the orange light in the switch comes on. I am putting the car in neutral of course and lifting the clutch but the light stays on and engine carries on running. I have followed the detailed instructions in the manual for resetting the function but still it does not work. Could the light impact have caused the mal-function?
Also would the car be covered under the 5-year warranty, even though it has not been serviced by Hyundai? (it has not been serviced as only done 5,000 miles to date). Maybe Hyundai would fix the problem?
Hoping that someone can give me good advice. Thanks.
  • 2015 year i30, 5-door hatch, 1.6 diesel manual, black.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi again Pete,

We get asked this question quite often so I think the easiest way to answer is refer you to a recent thread for our standard reply.

Basically the feature doesn't appear to save much fuel when it does work, but usually doesn't due to the number of parameters which need to be met, to allow it to function.

:link: ISG not working since the purchase
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Had to look what defined Unrecorded - as not an official category.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/car-advice/2010/is-an-insurance-write-off-a-bargain/

What is date of first registration?

I ask as the service is 20k or 2 years.

Suppose the best way to confirm the warranty issue would be to have a chat with your local hy dealer/authorised service centre.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hey there Pete,

I have next to zero knowledge and experience with the engine cut-off as it is not used in Australia by Hyundai.

As Dazzler said there are a number of parameters that need to be met to allow the ISG function to operate. The 1 thing that comes to mind is the battery. It needs to be a certain type for ISG and needs to be in top condition. It may be the battery was drained waiting to be repaired and isn't fully charged.

Warranty MAY apply, what exactly happened? What damage was repaired? The technicians will have to look at vehicle, find out what the problem is. If they find the concern is because of damage then no warranty.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Pete Wright

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK, Leek, Staffordshire
Thanks to Dazzler, Eye 30and cruiserfield.

The car was first registered in March 2016 and has only done 6,000 miles. Incidentally the accident damage was front offside wing damage and broken headlight-minimal.

I have contacted Hyundai head office and they have suggested the car is examined at a dealer to understand if the fault is covered by warranty.

I do agree that the function is not necessary, but would like it to be functioning, in case first MOT I failed (I gather everything has to work and if lights are on, tester may fail the car). Thanks all again.
  • 2015 year i30, 5-door hatch, 1.6 diesel manual, black.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal