Replaced Tyres on my PD SR with Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Dazzler · 39 · 13159

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've now done over 42,500 kilometres in the SR. I would probably make 50k with all 4 original tyres (just). However,  they are noisy and one in particular is making a thunk, thunk noise at coasting speeds on smooth bitumen.

After some research I'm probably going to go with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 at $210 each after $100 cash back offer. These are what the new N line is coming with as standard. I can get Pirelli Cinturato P7 for $201  which are also highly rated. But the Michelin are worth the extra $36 I think.

I didn't consider Diamondbacks  :rofl: :rofl: @The Gonz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pilot Sport 4's are what I'll be getting next as well Dazz :goodjob2:

I think your current tyres are the same as what I've got, I've done 45k on them already and think I'll still get another 30k out of em, are yours wearing evenly? seems odd they've worn so quick as they're rated at about 80k life :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Pilot Sport 4's are what I'll be getting next as well Dazz :goodjob2:

I think your current tyres are the same as what I've got, I've done 45k on them already and think I'll still get another 30k out of em, are yours wearing evenly? seems odd they've worn so quick as they're rated at about 80k life :confused:

Yeah. I guess I must drive harder than I realised. I used to only get 30k out of tyres. Got 75k out of Calais ones!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I was hoping to get close to 100k out of the ones on the late i40.

They still looked new at 62500 when she was murdered.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I was hoping to get close to 100k out of the ones on the late i40.

They still looked new at 62500 when she was murdered.
:rip:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I bit the bullet and ordered 4 Michelins @ $210 each from Local Dunlop Super Dealer Tyre Solutions. He seems like a good guy and he came in straight away at the lowest price I found on the web (tyresales.com were $215 each) He expects to get them in late this week or early next. Looking forward to getting them on!

Equivalent to 10+ massages!  :Pout:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That’s a reasonable price Dazz :goodjob: using they’re around $230-$240, could have bough Winrun’s for $65 each :eek: :faint: :snigger:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That’s a reasonable price Dazz :goodjob: using they’re around $230-$240, could have bough Winrun’s for $65 each :eek: :faint: :snigger:

Yeah, there's a $100 cashback until xmas I think for 4 that makes the difference.   :goodjob:

Yeah it was a hard decision out of the Winruns or the Michelins. I had Michelin tyres on my 3rd car. A new Fiat 128 3p hatch. I also had Michelin Primacy LC on one of my hybrids which I was very happy with.  :victory:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
WOW, winrun's make Gonz's Diamondbacks look dear  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm really looking forward to getting the exact same Michelin tyre fitted in the next week or so!  :happydance: I'll post some honest feedback once I've had a play.  :goodjob:
@Dazzler Are the new Michelins EL or XL? I see on Tyroola the EL are $200 but Jax Tyres have the XL (eco fuel saving) ones for $235.

Tyre sales don't mention the extra lettering :confused:

@CraigB You made me inquisitive, so I checked out Tyroola. The closet fitters to me were Launceston and Legana (both 100 kilometres away) and Fitted price including freight etc.. was over $1000 for four! I'm only looking at $840.

When I go to the Michelin website there is only one standard Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre (no mention of EL or XL) There is a Pilot Sport 4S which is a semi track tyre (quite a bit more expensive I think)

Funny, it doesn't specifically mention eco tyre credentials for the Pilot Sport on their site either.  :Dunno:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's interesting how the tyre industry has changed over the years. advertising wise.

I had a hand in developing the "Buy 4, pay for 3"offer when I was at Goodyear.

The dealers were dead against it. Until we sat down and went through the figures relating to how it would work.
Firstly it had to be demonstrably genuine or risk the ACCC coming down hard.
We provided posters and counter cards which explained for customers, exactly how it worked so there could be no confusion.

Sure, the odd dealer tried to "massage" it to his advantage. But we ran a series of mystery shops both on the phone and in person over the years which soon sorted out the cowboys.

Other dealers with different brand loyalties hated it and took every opportunity to run it down to potential buyers.

But it worked immensely well, especially since we only ran it once a year.

These days. Tyrepower, Tyres for You (Yokohama), Bridgestone and Toyo all offer the same thing.

One of that group was among the first to follow us but their dealers were rorting the system seriously badly. ACCC got involved pretty quickly.

I'm sure there is still the odd one "trying it on" but in general, if you're looking for tyres, it's a good deal.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB You made me inquisitive, so I checked out Tyroola. The closet fitters to me were Launceston and Legana (both 100 kilometres away) and Fitted price including freight etc.. was over $1000 for four! I'm only looking at $840.

When I go to the Michelin website there is only one standard Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre (no mention of EL or XL) There is a Pilot Sport 4S which is a semi track tyre (quite a bit more expensive I think)

Funny, it doesn't specifically mention eco tyre credentials for the Pilot Sport on their site either.  :Dunno:
I see Bob Jane tyres are offering that deal you got with the $100 cash back, their Michelin’s are listed as XL.

The 4S are nice (and expensive) and standard fitting for Lamborghini- Ferrari, they don’t come in 18’s to fit ours anyway, 19” is the minimal and they’re also extra light tyres which give a huge weight benefit of around 3kg per tyre just on the smallest 19’s.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I see Bob Jane tyres are offering that deal you got with the $100 cash back, their Michelin’s are listed as XL.

The 4S are nice (and expensive) and standard fitting for Lamborghini- Ferrari, they don’t come in 18’s to fit ours anyway, 19” is the minimal and they’re also extra light tyres which give a huge weight benefit of around 3kg per tyre just on the smallest 19’s.

I was actually heading to Bob Janes for that deal when I drove past Tyre Solutions and thought I'd give a local Family run business a shot.  :goodjob:

@Surferdude

Thanks for that Trev. The Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003 are on that deal ( "Buy 4, pay for 3" ) at the moment which equated to something like $169 per tyre for 4 which was tempting.  They get some good reviews on line but there were several reporting uneven wear and noise like I'm getting with the Kumhos so I decided to go the dearer option (not like me!)  :eek: :crazy1: :faint:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA

I was actually heading to Bob Janes for that deal when I drove past Tyre Solutions and thought I'd give a local Family run business a shot.  :goodjob:

@Surferdude

Thanks for that Trev. The Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003 are on that deal ( "Buy 4, pay for 3" ) at the moment which equated to something like $169 per tyre for 4 which was tempting.  They get some good reviews on line but there were several reporting uneven wear and noise like I'm getting with the Kumhos so I decided to go the dearer option (not like me!)  :eek: :crazy1: :faint:

Did your car come with Kumhos as standard Daz??  If so what model ??
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think Dazz meant Hankook :undecided: I’m sure he’s mentioned that his tyres were the same as mine last time he was over this way.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think Dazz meant Hankook :undecided: I’m sure he’s mentioned that his tyres were the same as mine last time he was over this way.

Yes. SOrry @Purplehazeffc got confused. Same factory, different door I believe.  :evil:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Cheers for the clarification.
I did think that all SR's came with Hankook Ventus prime 2's for the factory. 
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Equivalent to 10+ massages! 

17 x 1hr massage session :)  Unless you want to give me 7 and you can have 10
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

You him to give you 7 massages ???   :eek:  :rofl:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Darn this is truely the time I bring out that phrase i use often - English is my second language - I meant all that saving he can pay for 7 massage session for me and the rest he can spend on himself.

:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

17 x 1hr massage session :) 

Depends on the sort of massages or how long. I'll leave it at that. :cool:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Darn this is truely the time I bring out that phrase i use often - English is my second language - I meant all that saving he can pay for 7 massage session for me and the rest he can spend on himself.

:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

All good mate, I know what you meant.  :goodjob:
Just got in first at making a play on the words, or  "taking the piss" as Aussies say.  :cool:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

17 x 1hr massage session :) 

Depends on the sort of massages or how long. I'll leave it at that. :cool:

and perhaps how happy they end?  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok, so I got the new Michelin PS4's fitted today and the noise has gone. Michael at Tyre Solutions said there was a bit of a nick in one of the old tyre that could have been causing the noise.

He suggested I run 38 PSi minimum to reduce the risk of tyre or wheel damage with 40 series tyre. I hate to admit that @CraigB was right (for once)  :whistler: :winker:

Anyway, at 38 PSi cold 40/41 hot these new tyres still seem one step (at least) quieter than the Hankooks at lower pressure 34/35 PSi cold, which I ran them at to reduce tyre noise.

I also feel even with the higher pressure they seem to ride softer  :crazy1: (less harsh over corrugations) Steering response on a winding road also feels a little better. Loving them so far after around 60 kms of mixed driving.  :victory:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
He suggested I run 38 PSi minimum to reduce the risk of tyre or wheel damage with 40 series tyre. I hate to admit that @CraigB was right (for once)  :whistler: :winker:
It's alright Dazz, I'm used to being ignored :snigger:

Glad to hear the benefits of the new tyres :goodjob2: I'm looking forward to when I get mine...I might have to try and wear them out quicker :Drive:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It's alright Dazz, I'm used to being ignored :snigger:

Glad to hear the benefits of the new tyres :goodjob2: I'm looking forward to when I get mine...I might have to try and wear them out quicker :Drive:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@mickd

Did you mean to add something to that last post?  :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My friend who has a 300+ KW modified Skoda Octavia had a test drive of my SR with the new tyres which he had recommended to me.  Even as a passenger I could feel the benefit of the extra grip and the good response to steering input. He loved the feel of them too.  :cool:

Without doing actual db readings I'm still convinced they are quieter than the Hankooks. They still roar a little bit on the coarsest bitumen but it is better than it was. Considering I'm running about 3 PSi higher pressures I'm also amazed that they feel more compliant (less harsh) on broken surfaces. Crazy but obviously good.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@mickd

Did you mean to add something to that last post?  :confused:
SURE DID !   :rofl:
Can't remember what I was going to add now though  :lol:  :rolleyes:  :disapp:  FFS.
( gotta laugh - usual causes no doubt )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal